sea rayder

joshuaocason

Recruit
Hi. I'm new to i boats and I just purchased a 97 sea rayder f16 with the 175 hp. I purchased it as is. It's not currently running but am looking to get it running. My question is this; if i can't get it running, considering the trailer, the boat, the motor and parts. Can I lose even if I only gave 700.00 for it all? Motor does turn over and has compression. Are parts hard to find? Is this a problematic boat/motor? Thanks shead.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Sure you could lose but at least you couldn't lose much..... I believe that is a mercury sport jet... 175 hp outboard engine with a special discontinued hard to find crankshaft fitted to a 90* jet pump...

These boats are gas hogs and not nearly as powerful as one would expect but still pretty fun IF the engine is ok....

First step... "has compression" means nothing..... do a compression test and see how much compression on each cylinder.... Next this is 2 stroke with multiple carbs..... even if you get to fire up don't even think about trying to take it out till the carbs have been gone through by someone who KNOWS what they are doing... One carb too lean and you will have a junk boat to haul off and a trailer to sell.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
These boats are gas hogs and not nearly as powerful as one would expect but still pretty fun IF the engine is ok....

Yeah, they aren't the best on gas but it depends on how you push them also. As far as the power, my 17.5ft jet boat with the merc 175 on it does low 50's, and it will get to that speed nearly instantly. A similar boat with an outboard ends up at the same speed, and takes longer to get there.

Anyway, the engine is very, very reliable. Some early oil pump issues, but as long as it hasn't shown up by now, it probably never will. I agree, unknown engine, step one is always the carbs!