Water under floors won't drain HELP

ECHOSIDE

Seaman Apprentice
I am the new owner of a 1988 glasstream 17v fish and ski. First history. Previous owner completely redid all floors, wood, and fiberglass on interior. Stringers were inspected and were sound. All interior is brand new. NOW THE QUESTION I have found that after it rained the other day I could see water in the floor drain. Even when I tilt boat all the way up it will very slowly drain. Even if I turn on bilge it just pumps out the rear box. Why is the water just sitting there. I vacuumed it out and is now dry, but I don't like water sitting down there.

In advance THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP

Jason---boating noob

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
you're gonna have to either contact the P/O and see if he knows anything from his rebuild OR dive in.... mirror, flash light, bore cam, long rod with a hook on the end, stuff your arm in tiny holes and hope you get it back out... etc.... It's either been messed up by the P/O or it's plugged with something

Last edited:

dude11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yup,you got something cutting the flow,sounds like.You tried a wire coat hanger Thur the outside drain hole?

ECHOSIDE

Seaman Apprentice
The outside hole goes directly into the bilge sump. From there it goes under the floor is there another plug im missing or should it just be open to the front of boat.

Thanx Jason

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Again we can't say... your boat in non stock... stick something up there and find out... start pokin... maybe you'll hook a wad of leaves or a dead mouse OR maybe you'll find wood and fiberglass.

Generally there wouldn't be another plug unless there was a ski locker and then there could be one

ECHOSIDE

Seaman Apprentice
Just out of curiosity why do you say non stock, cuz of the rebuild? Ok I pulled the floor drain out and found two holes in the rear of the fiberglass that go to the bilge sump. They were completely blocked by leaves and other composted goo. sucked em clean and guess what water flows. I did find a bunch of new leaves under the floor as well, must have not vacuumed very well before he put the floors back down. Thanks for the responses, hopefully I wont be posting here very often with problems. Everything else looks good.

THANX AGIN JASON

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Invest in a cover for your boat or use the one you have before all the rebuild work is ruined.

ECHOSIDE

Seaman Apprentice
Ya its staying in the garage this winter. I have a lot of buffing to do as the entire top hull is faded. It is coming back shiny but its gonna take awhile. Are todays covers waterproof and or will they hold a snow load. I live in Wisconsin so we get a little bit of snow up here. HA

THANX

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Even a poly tarp or 2 over the winter supported by some PVC pipe to let the snow slide off. You still have to keep an eye on your boat through the winter to make sure nothing happens to it.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Not familiar with your boat. First thing to look for is floor drain hole covers (chrome grills) usually about 3-4" in diameter in the cabin area, usually in the center. On most smaller boats with stringers, there are 2 to 4. The inside 2 are some distance from the "keel" (center point of the boat fore to aft). Most boats are v or semi V. This makes a nice trough to catch cabin water and assist in removing it from the deck (where you are standing) in rain or heavy seas. So mfgrs glass over the stringers and make a water tight channel running the full length of the boat.

At the stern this channel is (supposed to be) accessible and usually has the bilge pump sitting right there in front of the transom. There are different methods of getting from the channel running the length of the boat to the stern access point. If your PO accidentally closed off this access you have your smoking gun. Best place to have a drain is right in the center (obviously) and if you don't have a hole there, or a square cutout that accesses this channel I mentioned you need to get one and your problem should be solved.

Mark