boat suggestions needed

Jerem0621

Cadet
Hello everyone!

I hope everything is going well for you all today! I have a unique boating need and a pretty tight budget in the 3-5k range. I need a general purpose boat that will let me do many things.. and I want to keep the length down to no more than 17 ft. Here is my unique situation.

1) I live in Tennessee so I want to fish and play (riding mostly, some tubing) in my local waters... mostly the Dam reservoir along the Tennessee River.
2) I have family in Hudson and Springhill, Florida... we spend several weekends there a year... I'd like to have a boat to handle the brackish water there AND gig for fish off my boat along the coast.

I have ZERO plans on pushing the boat beyond the horizon or anything like that while in Florida along the gulf coast. MAYBE 1-2 miles away from shore (not offshore by any means) but mostly in the flats and in the canals in hudson gigging.

In Florida my family tends to use a 14 ft jon boat for the gigging in the canals and close to the shore with a 9.9 HP outboard and a trolling motor. It actually performs well in this circumstance. I have thought about just buying a 14-16 ft jon boat and doing the same as I know it will do what I want in both of these bodies of waters. However.. I'd like something a bit nicer and something that will stay floating in a SHTF scenario. Ever seen a Jon boat with a bilge pump?

I've found some older nicer Boston Whaler hulls in the $1500 ish range where my family lives these are 13-15 ft boats. I've considered buying them and re-powering them with a fresh water used power plant from here in Tennessee.. something in the 50-75 hp range. I know that a whaler will fish well in fresh water and handle salt/brackish water easily.

I could pick up a runabout or even a fish/ski boat here in Tennessee for a good price.. but I am not sure how well the fish/ski boat will do in the salty/brackish water in Florida... especially if the water gets choppy on me.

Anyway, suggestions anyone? Do I seem to be on the right track here?

It will mostly be me and my two boys.. so three people on the boat.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Last edited:

younggun

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would suggest you look into smaller center consoles around 15-17 feet or the whaler idea. Whalers are some tough boats.

undone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you fish in nice weather a CC is fine, but as the weather gets colder they become less popular, plus small CC's have very little room because the console takes up most of it.

Whalers are typically over priced due to the name, there are many other lower cost boats that would probably work well for you

Jerem0621

Cadet
If you fish in nice weather a CC is fine, but as the weather gets colder they become less popular, plus small CC's have very little room because the console takes up most of it.

Whalers are typically over priced due to the name, there are many other lower cost boats that would probably work well for you

Thanks! It does get colder here in Tennessee. What would you suggest in this small range of a boat then if not a CC... A side console? I've seen a lot of 13-15 ft whaler style boats with a side console.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

undone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Something more like a 16' or 17' Lund side console, or similar aluminum boat, there are many.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Two years ago I purchased a 16' Sylvan Pro Select, dual console, 'fish and ski' boat with a 85 hp Yamaha outboard. It's got a decent v-hull. My plan was to tow it to Florida for use when we visit our condo in Stuart. It'll be used in the St. Lucie and Indian rivers and I think it'll be a good fit. I've been sporadically fixing it up and changing a few things to fit my boating style, and it's finally going down with me in December.

There are plenty of manufacturers of this type of boat. They're light and easy to tow- my entire rig weighs less than 2000 lbs. A v-hull is much more capable than a flat-bottomed Jon for what you have in mind. A Whaler is always a good choice, too.

My .02

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
He has clearly described a desire for a get you home when you screwed up kinda boat.... IMHO that limits him to ONLY self bailing decks.... You don't want to rely on a bilge pump where you could be taking water over the bow every couple minutes..... whaler style by many other brands is a good option... NOT smooth riding boats tho... If you have any back problems look for deep V wide flared..... Similar to my V-20... they make those in 18'ers too. Check out Wellcraftv20.com.... Might even find a free or very cheap hull there as we have em pop up from time to time.

Jerem0621

Cadet
Thanks Kevin, I'm on page 4 of your free boat thread. I'd love to score something like that.

As to self bailing... As a newb... Is there a way to tell at a glance if a boat is self bailing or not.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Yep self bailing means NO access to the belly of the boat without removing or at least opening something water proof... no way for water to drain to the bilge area... there will be drains at the transom from floor level OR an open transom(not likely on a small boat) such that if you dump 5 gallons of water on deck it would simply drain out of the boat without removing any plugs or using a bilge pump..... ALMOST always this will be a boat with a very open floor plan with a gel coated deck, no carpet smooth totally sealed seam around the perimeter.

I'm glad you're enjoying the thread... It's a crying shame that life keeps getting in the way of finishing the V-20..... I'd LOVE to be somewhere on the Atlantic coast about now failing miserably at hooking a monster tuna but still loving every minute of it. Would HAVE to be more fun that the overhaul I've been doing on my truck AGAIN! starting on post 62 Here

Jerem0621

Cadet
Dang Smoke! That stinks about the PSD.

I had a 99 F350 crew cab dually...I wish I would have kept it. It was a great hauler and never gave me much trouble. It was a V10...replaced the plugs and coils and that was it.. Change the oil etc... Best truck I have ever owned. Biggest expense was fuel lol. 7.5 mpg pulling my trailer... About 10-12 empty. Im actually looking for another super duty with a V10...I love that motor. (probably a F250 or a SRW F350)

Thanks for the clarification on the self bailing boat. I've never sunk a boat or even had a boat threaten to sink. My last real boat was a 16 ft aluminum run about with a Force 70 hp outboard and power trim...should have kept it too. It was a great handling boat... Had a walk through windshield and a small live well...it wasn't a true fish ski though as the boat had a ton of freeboard compared to a bass boat... Probably 8-10 inches or so going from memory.

If I don't get a self bailing boat I would absolutely install secondary bilge pumps... With dedicated power supplies...I'm a redundancy guy...I love having backups for backups..lol...I'd be the guy offshore with twin 75's instead of a single 150... Each motor with a separate fuel supply....probably a 20 hp kicker too...lol

Thanks!

Jeremiah

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
If you go that route you'd be far better off with the 150 and a kicker... a single engine propped as one of twins won't move your boat any faster than the kicker BUT yeah redundancy is a good thing......

Difference between the bilge pump and the self bailing deck is.... bilge pump might pump say 1000 gallons in an hour... self bailing deck with application of throttle can shed 500 in a couple minutes.... a LOT of it can go over the transom in a few seconds AND the self bailing boat keeps salt water from reaching your batteries n such. If your batts go under (salt) your bilge pumps and possibly your motor quit

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, How about a fiberglass fish and ski or a Dual Console in the 18 foot range? With an Outboard (115- 150HP) she should be light enough to tow and launch, she will go out 1-2 miles in the Gulf or ocean and return safely, she will pull tubes and skiers, and seat lots of passengers. You can get a self-bailing cockpit, and textured fiberglass floor for easy cleaning. Put the kids in the bow, where you can keep an eye on them, and have fun.

southkogs

Staff member
Hi Jeremiah:

If you could find something along the lines of a SeaArk in the 16' range, that would be a fabulous boat for what you describe from the TN side of the equation. The hitch with a lot of the bow-rider / fish-n-ski type boats here in TN is that they get left outside and suffer all manner of neglect (worse than I remember from up north) and it takes a while to find one that's got life left in it.

An older Carolina Skiff may also make the grade for what you're looking for. I like the idea of a self bailing hull, but you're probably going to look a little further south of us to find something worth getting.

Which part of TN are you in? What's available on CL varies a LOT between Memphis and Knoxville. If you're in Middle or East TN, I'd make sure to include Atlanta in your search. There a bigger more competitive market down there which sometimes helps you get a better buy.

undone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The issue with low coast fiberglass boats (you said you were on a tight budget) is that in your price range most need a great deal of work due to rotten transoms, stringers and floors, there are some that don't need this work, but they can be tough to find. Going aluminum means if there is any rotten wood it can be replaced rather easily and quickly. Self bailing is great, my 19' CC is self bailing, but other than when it's raining and tied to the dock I've never really needed it, this boat has sat in my shop for the last 6 years unused because in colder climates CC's aren't a great design, and the family (wife) doesn't like sitting in the weather. I use my slightly smaller aluminum boat all the time, it has more room than the 2' larger CC. Now if I lived in Florida the CC would get used all the time and the Aluminum boat would be sold immediately.

Pick a material and design that will work for how you plan to use it in Tennessee, this design will work OK for short term use in FL too.

younggun

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a Carolina skiff and think that would be a good idea for what you want. Mine is a 17ft but has more room than any other 17ft boat I have been in and it sips gas with the 60 on it.

Jerem0621

Cadet
Hi Jeremiah:

If you could find something along the lines of a SeaArk in the 16' range, that would be a fabulous boat for what you describe from the TN side of the equation. The hitch with a lot of the bow-rider / fish-n-ski type boats here in TN is that they get left outside and suffer all manner of neglect (worse than I remember from up north) and it takes a while to find one that's got life left in it.

An older Carolina Skiff may also make the grade for what you're looking for. I like the idea of a self bailing hull, but you're probably going to look a little further south of us to find something worth getting.

Which part of TN are you in? What's available on CL varies a LOT between Memphis and Knoxville. If you're in Middle or East TN, I'd make sure to include Atlanta in your search. There a bigger more competitive market down there which sometimes helps you get a better buy.

Hi southkogs,

I am not very far from you. I am on the Chattanooga Side of Monteagle Mountain outside a little town called Jasper, Tn. Uncanny how small the world is sometimes.
Your SeaArk suggestion has kinda jolted me back to reality. I'm talking about lake Nickajack/Chickamaga/Guntersville kinda fishing most of the time with the 1-3 excursion to the Tampa Bay area per year. Seriously, a properly equipped 16ish Jon boat would take care of my needs fine. My family in Florida have been taking 14-16 ft flatbottoms and v-hull aluminum boats out around Hundson, Fl for DECADES... no reason it would not work for me either.

I do have a deep respect for the risk of sinking... I think any skipper should have regardless of the size of the boat.

I have bought a few things off of the Atlanta craigslist. I bought my V10 Crew Cab dually (since sold) in EXCELLENT shape out of a Atlanta Suburb for $5500.00 a few years ago. Poor thing looked as big as some of the houses sitting on the street. LOL

Maybe I should just start of smallish.. get a 14-16 ft jon or V-hull aluminum boat, refit it to be a comfy fishing boat... with an eye on safety (bilge pump, etc)… I can easily Gig off a wide jon in Florida and chase fish in Tennessee.

That would be a lower cost project and would let me save for a nicer family boat to play with.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

southkogs

Staff member
Been through Jasper, but I haven't stopped there. I've gotta' run to Chattanooga about every 3 months or so. I love comin' down the South side of Monteagle in the mornings - especially this time of year - it's just beautiful.

The only reason I was going bigger (SeaArk-ish) was because of your suggestion of tubing and such.

A 16' tiller steer boat (and I would go with a deeper v type rather than the flat bottom jon boat) is a GREAT platform for fishing of all kinds. I'm used to 14' with 10HP, but some of the 16' boats will get into a 40HP or so that COULD pull a kid on a tube. Wouldn't be bad in-shore if the weather was decent.

Jerem0621

Cadet
Thats great, I think there is a SeaArk Dealer in North Alabama, may have to ride down and check them out.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

spudshaft

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Talk about small world, I grew up in Jasper. Anyway, I like the Carolina Skiff idea. Also you might want to look at a high tide (now mi tide).