Boat left out in the rain

Kaykatz

Seaman Apprentice
I,m thinking about buying a 1986 16' Bayliner bass boat. The owner has left it outside, uncovered for the past 3 months with the drain plug out of it. Should I be concerned about rain/water damage?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Chances are it may have been left out even more. Carefully check the floor and transom for soft spots weakness.
Check that the bottom is straight no distortions.

Last edited:

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
steelespike is right, it's probably been left out more than once. At that age there are lots of places where there might be problems.
On the other had it is a boat and designed for water. Many sit on buoys or at marinas uncovered for months, or are used uncovered daily for months.

Last edited:

Kaykatz

Seaman Apprentice
Apparently he had it covered but the cover got torn a few months ago. He says he still has the torn cover. Also said the deck was replaced about 5-6yrs ago.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Replaced the deck.....they rot from the bottom up. So the deck is solid,but not the structure/stringers/foam/transom......

thumpar

Admiral
Good idea. I would bet it is not the first time it was left out in the weather.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I looked at so many boat that had "been covered until a month or two ago, when the cover ripped". Amazing how many boats had soft floors and rotting bulkheads from only a month or two in the elements...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
. Amazing how many boats had soft floors and rotting bulkheads from only a month or two in the elements...
As noted above, literally thousands of slipped boats sit for months at a time uncovered and are none the worst for it. Goes to show just how many boats are built using shoddy, substandard construction processes.

Last edited: