Livewell Oddity

cmdworker

Cadet
Hi, I'm having some strange happenings with my live well. I have a 2004 Warrior 193 fiberglass fishing boat. Water is flowing into my live wells through the main line that the pump feeds, except the pump isn't on. And it only does it when the boat is on plane, never while just sitting. Even though the live well power wasnt switched on, I thought maybe some power could be bleeding to it powering the pump, but water was still flowing in, even after I shut off my main master power switch. Does anyone know what could be happening? Thank you very much.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
You have what is called a high speed pickup on your transom,...

It is there to keep the live-well full and even overflowing so as to minimize sloshing and killing fish in tournament fishing,.......

cmdworker

Cadet
Thanks Teamster. still trying to figure out why water would be flowing to the live wells, and only on plane, when all the live well switches are off, and even after I turned off my main master power switch? Thanks

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
What you describe is typical behavior for a scoop type intake on your pump. The scoop is required if your pump is mounted above the water line.

The pressure generated by the scoop at higher speeds blows right by the pump impeller. You should have a seacock to shut off the flow of water thru pump when not needed.

cmdworker

Cadet
Thanks! the pumps are located below the waterline on the transom. I think I know where those seacocks are that you are talking about, right on top of the pump? the problem is, they are extremely difficult to access, and would be tough to turn off and on when I want it to use my live well. Would you think replacing the pumps would solve the problem? Thanks so much for your help, really appreciate it!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I think I know where those seacocks are that you are talking about, right on top of the pump?

It could be, but the purpose of a seacock is to shut the water off right at the intake should something failure upstream. Otherwise you have an open hole in the hull with no means of stopping it. We had a boat go down last spring when the pump broke off it's thru hull mount without a seacock in place.

Replacing the pump will have no affect. Changing / adjusting the intake would be your best bet remedy

Here is how my water system is plumbed. Note the shut off valves at the intakes
washdown.gif

Last edited:

cmdworker

Cadet
No Title

Dingbat! You are the man and thank you so much for your help! I think I see what you are talking about now. You were talking about the shut off right into the live well. I was thinking there was a shut off right next to the pump, but I don't think there is (photo). so water is coming through and filling my live well only when I'm on plane. obviously some hydraulic force is sending the water past the pump without it being turned on?II wonder if the seacock is built into the pump housing, since I can't see it anywhere else along the line? Thanks again for all the good help! PS. That is scary as heck that that guy's boat went down because of that!

Attachments

• photo210696.jpg
    photo210696.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 0

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Take a picture of the livewell intake on the transom,.

I'm 100% positive that you have a high speed pick-up there,....

It is working the way it was designed,...........

cmdworker

Cadet
No Title

thanks Teamster, here's one with the cover on, then off. I'm sure they are high speed pickups, but why are they letting water through and filling my live well when the power is off, and only when I'm on plane? Thnxs again! P.s. since I've noticed this happening, I have been getting a little water in my hull when I pull my drain plug also. if those pumps weren't sealed well with just a little water leaking into the boat, could that be what's causing a hydraulic force to fill my live wells without the power to the pump on?

Attachments

• photo210703.jpg
    photo210703.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo210704.jpg
    photo210704.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 0

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
That is what it is supposed to do!!!

With that cover on it is forcing water into the livewell while on plane, The cover should stick down just a bit below the hull, That is what "grabs" the water and forces it in,......

If you take the cover off it will stop forcing water in while on plane,....

cmdworker

Cadet
Thanks Teamster, this is all making more sense to me now. Really appreciate all your help!