The Little Sunbird Lives again!

lakenormangal

Seaman
Ok My friend came over and he removed the outdrive and took a good look inside. Everything looked fine. Nothing jammed and everything moved the way it should. He put it back together. He did see that the Transom Bracket cable seemed a little out of adjustment and the linkage looked a little tweaked. He gave a slight adjustment and made sure the cables were moving the way they should.
The bf and I took it out on the small lake near our house and tested it. It was perfect! It shifted smoothly, not stiff. And I really got to know exactly how that boat likes to shift.
I think I know what I did wrong. The handle has to come all way back to the end of neutral before it goes completely out of gear. You can feel come out of gear. I think I was so nervous that first time, I never got it fully out of forward when I went into reverse and somehow jammed it. Taking it apart and putting it back together must have unjammed it. I didn't break anything. Just tweaked the linkage.
Now that I actually KNOW how to correctly shift the boat, I had a great time with it Sunday. That little boat is pretty sweet. Cruised around doing about 30 mph and was barely into the throttle.
I finally got some pictures. And we are taking the boat out again this weekend. Gonna give it another try at Lake Norman. This boat runs so sweet.
I did get a real good look at the engine deck area once the back seat and the panels were out, and what I can see looks good and feels very solid. This is a perfect boat for me, and whatever happens, I'll fix it and keep going.
And we are getting real good getting that guy on the trailer. Drove it up onto the trailer, and within 5 minutes had it lined up and hooked.attach8817677.jpg

Attachments

• photo210452.jpg
    photo210452.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

lakenormangal

Seaman
No Title

photo210453.jpg photo210453.jpg

Attachments

• attach8817654.jpg
    attach8817654.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo210454.jpg
    photo210454.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
11949865511933397169thumbs_up_nathan_eady_01.svg.hi.png

and you posted at 10:10 which i see as a blessing from the boat gods

Tnstratofam

Commander
Glad to hear it wasn't anything major. She does look nice. Enjoy and happy boating.

Twidget

Commander
Im glad it was something easily remedied. *lifts glass* Here is to many years of enjoyment!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
As the OMC Cobra lower shift cable ages, the outside jacket starts to fail which you can initially fix with an adjustment. Problem is it will get worse and worse. I would be replacing the lower shift cable.

With the engine tilted up look at ht estarboard side of the drive where the cable enters the pivot housing. That is where the cable starts to fail.

Make sure you always store your drive down as it is easier on the shift cable and the bellows.