Boat cover question...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I just picked up a boat cover for my 14 foot fishing boat, and I would like to prop it up so it does not sag under the weight of the snow during the winter, what do you guys use to keep your covers from filling up with snow or water?

rbh

Fleet Admiral
A-frame over top?

Other wise it is mostly a flat surface.

robert graham

Admiral
A simple/cheap method is an inflated auto/truck tire inner tube laying in the boat with cover over it.....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
That is a heck of an idea Robert, I don't have any inner tubes, but I have a lot of old worn out tires around here, which should do the exact same thing. Thank you.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I made a trussed aluminum ridge pole for my 20 footer. It goes from the top of the windshield frame back to the top of the transom. I spread the canvas (sunbrella) cover over the boat and have sewn in tie down tabs every couple of feet along the perimeter. After drawing up the cover waist band snugly, I tighten up the side ties (to either the side loading rails or down to the trailer frame, until the cover is taught.

This works very well for rain but I would not want to trust it with a snow load. I suppose I could have incorporated a mid span vertical support to the floor, then a heavy snow load would not collapse my ridge pole. If you then throw a big costco tarp over that, the snow would slide off. At minimum it would make it easy to tug on the blue tarp and get the snow to slide off. You can see the ridge poll (sans cover) in this picture. I used this for years before I got the costco canopy.

This is another option that works well for me now. I still have to go out in heavy snow and push on the underside with the backside of a push broom, but the snow slides right off when you do it. With a fresh cover, I have had as much as ten inches of snow on it without collapsing. You can see all the snow that I knocked off the canopy, down on the ground to the left of the boat.

Last edited:

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
There have been several threads on this topic in the past. Some of the guys use PVC to make up a support frame. On my eighteen footers over the years I've used half-inch thin wall conduit in a "T" shape (one lengthwise to the boat and one at the rear going side to side, bolted together) and free-standing. Sorry, no pics as I'm traveling and don't have photos with me.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Thanks generator, I did do a search and the search engine was not working correctly, so I asked.

oldjeep

Admiral
I just picked up a boat cover for my 14 foot fishing boat, and I would like to prop it up so it does not sag under the weight of the snow during the winter, what do you guys use to keep your covers from filling up with snow or water?

A garage?

Honestly most of the boats that get left outside around here get tented very high with shrink wrap. My boat cover couldn't be propped high enough to make sure that snow did not collapse it.

UncleWillie

Captain
The real "Boat Cover" is stored for the winter and a wood frame gets installed for the winter.
The 18 foot boat gets cover with an over-sized 12 x 24 ft. plastic tarp.
If the snow doesn't slide off the plastic tarp by itself. A push broom easily makes it happen,

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
+1 to the inner tube or towable tube, though I suspect if you get any amount of snow and it then melts to ice, the cover will pool and either rip, stretch or pull down onto the floor. +2, a higher tented tarp will protect your boat and new cover, and allow the snow to slide off. Where are you located?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
2 plastic 30 gallon garbage cans. Flip them upside down, set them in the boat, cover it up.
They are strong, stable, and no sharp edges to cut the boat cover or tarp.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I run a 2X4 from the top of the motor to the top of the windshield. Then I take some 1/8" twine and run it gunwale to gunwale, over the ridge 2X4. This gives center and side support. I have just about enough cleats, bimini supports and fish rod holder bases to tie the twine to, to support the whole cover pretty well.

flycaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Be careful placing tires/tubes on interior upholstery, as the rubber will bleed and cause stains on the upholstery that will not come out.
Place several layers of plastic sheet material underneath the tires/tubes to reduce the chance of stains.

roffey

Commander
A word of caution here, I ran a 2x4 from the windshield to the stern of my boat. We had a heavy snow fall, a melt, then a heavy snow fall and... you guessed it. I broke the windshield. Not just broke it but flattened it had to order all new glass.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
You may be asble to do some thing like this. I know you get a high snow fall so it needs steep sides so that will slide off, This is what i used to do with my pontoon

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
No Title

Attachments

• photo155289.jpg
    photo155289.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo160671.jpg
    photo160671.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 0