White Vinyl cleaner

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer
Hi Guys,

What's the best product to use on 6 year old 'used to be bright white' vinyl?

I've tried a few proprietary products here but none have made much difference.

The white I have is now a shade of dirty light grey.

Any ideas?

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It is possible that the color has changed with time but it's more likely just a surface film. A product like 'Magic Eraser' acts as a mild abrasive and takes off the outside layer of material and get back the original color. As it is abrasive it can damage the surface if used too often. I don't use it on my boat unless there is a specific small stain.
Most vinyl and leather cleaners have pretty good surfactants to lift a film but they are helped a great deal by using a nylon scrub brush that you can get almost anywhere for your house. I usually use 'Starbrite' brand as it is inexpensive and rinses away easily. If you are not cleaning on the water, you could use something like Malco or Totally Awesome which are stronger but not great for the ecosystem. Whatever you use, let it sit on the surface after application for a minute or two and them use the brush. Rinse it well.

phillyg

Petty Officer 1st Class
You might want to consider white vinyl paint made by SEM. Fairly durable and you have to use a SEM pre-paint softener first.

sean.deangelis

Seaman Apprentice
You might want to consider white vinyl paint made by SEM. Fairly durable and you have to use a SEM pre-paint softener first.

Before you buy anything more or paint them try.....and I hope I don't get flamed for this....Soft Scrub. It works fantastic and you just cut it with a little water.

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class
# 2 on SEM just you tube SEM VINYL PAINT lots of great info