Stick steering system for a Jon boat

Justfishin2

Recruit
Folks, I am new to this site, so please bear with me as I try to figure out all the different forums. I have already found that (at the very bottom of the main page) there is a title for Jon boats, but I am not able to go there to post questions. I can read old posts by clicking Jon and steering then searching for stick steer, but everything on there is 2 years old. So, I'll ask my question here, and maybe someone can/will kindly tell me where it might be better to post it. I am in the process of switching motors from a tiller style to one which will use remote steering. Because of the layout of my boat, I want to try setting it up with stick steering. I am aware of the kits made by EzyGlide, but I'm just exploring other options if they exist. I've spent a lot of time on the net looking but have failed to find anything else. I do not want to rig up anything-just purchase a good quality ready-to-use system at the least possible cost. I know a lot of people search Ebay, etc, but I want to read the manufacturers info before buying. I do not want a console steer, so please help direct my question to the right forum.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iboats.
You are in the correct forum.

There is not a huge demand for stick steering, so very few manufacturers are out there.
EzyGlide may be the only one left.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
yep this is THE place to post this question.... There is nothing jon boat specific about the steering system... in fact even the term jon boat is debatable as different people will give you a different definition which seems to be a regional thing...

That said as mentioned above stick steering is very rare any more... I've had 3 stick steer boats, a tri hull, an odd skeeter flat bottom glasser, and a flat bottom jon.... All were 70's era boats with original controls except the jon which looked to be a hack job with a drum and pulley cable system....

I haven't personally seen a stick steer boat in over 20 years tho I recently did a bit of searching when I had considered using one for a kicker motor and ez-glide was all I could find... I ruled em out due to the cost and decided to go a different way.

You might consider searching ebay for used too but I think finding one that isn't used up might be tough.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I had a stick steer system on an old 16` Monarch flat bottom years ago. While there was an adjustment period when new, I grew to like the system. It allowed me to sit up front to steer providing better visability and I got to fish out of the front of the boat, not my guest, lol. Admittingly I felt a little fragile while in rough water, sitting up above the gunwhales on the front deck. I think Tracker still makes a stick steer called a Panfish. I remember having to replace the steering cable due to siezing and I was able to find a replacement.

hogg

Seaman
Here's an Idea I had for stick steer that didn't involve cables. Two 'two way cylinders' The Stick attached to the plunger on the Forward cylinder. The Engine attached to the plunger of the Aft signature. Or Rudder, if you are using a little gas inboard. Two lines between the ports, You'll have a Clean, long lasting and quiet steering assembly