How about a V12 runabout?

superbenk

Commander
That's what it looks like to me. Need a 2nd V12 before you'd be willing to place your order? ;)

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's what it looks like. Rather have 2 V8s with one drive per engine.

Glenn

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
In the 1930s They used to put 4 of the grandfathers of that motor in one boat.

robert graham

Admiral
Yep, multi-cylinder/aircraft engine powered boats was very popular back in the 1920's and 1930's....the quest for more power and speed started a long time ago....Alexander Graham Bell had a very fast/world speed record boat back when....kept it on a lake up in Nova Scotia....folks love speed!....

superbenk

Commander
It's crazy how much displacement & torque some of those old aircraft engines had. Even crazier to see how much more efficient modern engines are today developing equivalent output in a fraction of the size/weight.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Where do yous put the rod holders???????????????,...............

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
That's what it looks like to me. Need a 2nd V12 before you'd be willing to place your order? ;)

yeah man had it in my shopping cart (free shipping today only!) and credit card out but then thought maybe not.....

so - how/why two screws on a single engine?

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
It's crazy how much displacement & torque some of those old aircraft engines had. Even crazier to see how much more efficient modern engines are today developing equivalent output in a fraction of the size/weight.

Yes, but those engines were a lot easier to work on than the engines of today. Bigger, more robust components and no electronic magic necessary to make it work properly.

superbenk

Commander
Yes, but those engines were a lot easier to work on than the engines of today. Bigger, more robust components and no electronic magic necessary to make it work properly.

This is true. Part of the reason I ended up with a carbed boat this last fall vs MPI, though the extra HP & easier starting sure would be nice.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
In the 1930s They used to put 4 of the grandfathers of that motor in one boat.

Fred Scopinich's boatyard right here on Long Island (in Freeport then- it's still operating in another town now) was a big builder of the rum runners' boats in the 1930's using WWI vintage 'Liberty' 12- cyl engines. Funny fact- they built the runners' boats one side of the yard, and Coast Guard interception cutters on the other.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

All a matter of perspective... I'd much rather work on a modern car engine than deal with a fiddly carb or points. Plug a laptop in, sit down, and adjust some values in a program is far easier and more precise then trying to understand the black magic arts of carb tuning. (I also grew up with computers and was doing some fairly advanced programming my commodore and amiga computers by age 12 or so)

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer
That is the same motor that the P51 Mustang and Spitfire used in WW2. It is an awesome engine. The only downfall, due to carbs, was it would hesitate when upside down for long periods as well as g-forces. The Germans solved those problems by having manual fuel injection in their ME 109's.