• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deadrise, what does it mean

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadrise, what does it mean

A silly question for some, but i dont know the answer, my wife and i were talking over boats in my new trophy catalog and asked me what it means,lol i dont know,

Re: Deadrise, what does it mean

It is the difference (angle) between the deepest part of the hull (usually center) and the highest part of the hull, that is in the water-chine.

Comment

like in say the bow of a lobster boat..i.e. the bow comes way up..

Comment

This is one of the questions that comes up frequently. So there are lots of threads on it. Here is one of the more recent ones - Difference in Deadrise Kelly Cook

Comment

And all these years I thought it had to do with the rapture since the bible says all the dead in christ will rise.On a serious note, DJ has nailed it down in very simply understood terms.However, I will add deadrise is subjective to the prevailing conditions in which the boat will be used. Another important thing to understand is initial and secondary stability. A boat with less deadrise will be very stable on flat water but as speed increases and conditions get more demanding it also has less secondary stability. A boat that has significant deadrise may also have less initial stability when unpowered but as it moves through the water, better performance is recognized with good secondary stability.

Comment

Bear in mind there's a lot of sales hype in quoting degrees of deadrise.Most quoted figures are for the angle of deadrise at the transom - but deadrise measured further forward will be different. So reading too much into a quoted deadrise figure is very misleading.There's so much more to building a soft-riding, good tracking, economical, dry-riding boat than just one aspect. Get all the ingredients right and you've got one terrific hull. Get one ingredient wrong and you end up with a pig.Ciao

Comment

What he said (Stillfishing).The oversimplified "wisdom" is that more deadrise gives you better tracking and a softer ride, whereas less deadrise gives you better gas mileage and better planing characteristics. So they will tell you some intermediate deadrise figure will give you the best of all worlds - which is danderously close to the worst of all worlds.

Comment

Intermediate deadrise (say 16-20 degrees)normally gives better tracking at trolling speeds than a deep vee (say 21-24) and softer ride at high speeds than a flat bottom. What is the boat used for? That's where the line is drawn for degrees of deadrise. I've gone from zero deadrise to 24 and used to lean on "must have" 24 degrees...now I'm a 10-15 degree guy because it is friendy to my specific use.

Comment

excellent, thank u people

Comment

Comment

Excellent diagram Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X