Buy new runabout for Charleston, SC

Tenoreprimo

Recruit
I have searched the forums for about an hour without finding the help I need. Feel free to redirect me if you know where I can find this information.

I want to purchase a new boat in Charleston, SC for Salt Water use. I THINK I want a bow rider at around 20' and don't want to spend more than about $30M.

Those I have identified that seem to fit my needs are: Regal 1900ES, Chaparral H20 19Sport, Starcraft Limited 1918, Stingray 198LX, and Bayliner 195. I don't find a local dealer for the Chaparral.

Suggestions or comments are welcome

roffey

Commander
I have done all my boating on lakes and very seldom venture out on to big water. I think you are looking for a larger boat and not a bow rider. I currently have a Stingray 198LX. Its a fun boat on small waves. On big chop, over 4 feet you will get wet and if going at any speed over 35 mph you will be out of the water as much as in and it wont be a fun ride. Keep in mind this boat of capable of just short of 60 mph and on big water at speed trouble happens fast. I think you want a center console or closed deck and some where in between 20 to 25 feet. Just my 2 pennies worth, I am sure others with more experience on big water will pitch in.

Last edited:

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer
I also have a Stingray 198LX and really like the boat. I looked at several other boats in the sub $30k range and liked the Stingray the best. Mainly due to the performance, design, and layout. We use ours in a larger river and normally have between 2 - 5 adults on it. My suggestion is to crawl all over the boats you mentioned, talk to the dealers, and buy the one you are most comfortable with. Also salt water can be quite rough on a I/O so you will need to make sure you flush the motor after every use.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
What kind of water are we talking about, besides 'salt'? I googled Charleston and I see everything from open ocean, to a harbor, to tidal rivers. If you're talking about open ocean I'd lean away from the bowriders and toward dual consoles instead. They aren't as plush, but passenger accommodations are similar and they're much more seaworthy. For the harbor and rivers you should be fine with a BR.

My.02

tpenfield

Staff member
A better ocean boat would be a dual console with an outboard, but that might get you beyond the $30k budget.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
:welcome: to iboats Tenoreprimo............... I was born and raised in Charleston, unfortunatley I moved to Columbia 12 years ago anyway.................. Depends on what you are looking at doing, If you are planning to mess around the Harbor the Wando, the Intra coastal, Cooper river, and such a bow rider would be just fine........

Stop by Remley's point landing and ask actual boaters with different style boats what they like/dislike about their boat.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Stop at Pawley's Island Marine, or Cape Romain Marine and look at the 2014 Monterey 196MS they have.
It's just under your budget

vollymall

Cadet
+2 on the dual console instead. Most of what you listed are "lake" boats IMO. Assuming you are okay with used, check out a Sea Hunt Escape series. Pretty common boat in the area.

southkogs

Staff member
LOL ... I was just in Charleston on the Yorktown. From the Ravenel Bridge out to Ft. Sumter (essentially in the Cooper River and Charleston Harbor) I saw mostly dual consoles and center consoles (and lotsa' sail boats), but I was surprised at how many bow riders I did see (maybe 5 or 6). Probably 20' boats for the most part, and that makes sense as every time I've been out on the harbor water it's been a little bumpy.

I wouldn't take a bow rider out into the open water past Sumter. Personally, I'd opt for the dual console either way.

Ryan0186

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have owned bowriders, skiffs, and currently own a center console. All of them have been used exclusively in the Charelston Waterways. From my experience I would say that the CC is the most comfortable and most pracitcle boat for use in Charleston. If I were you I would go with a CC. For 30K you could find a really nice one. Also look upstate as well. Many of the boats down here go for a premium just because the water and a launch is a few miles from anywhere here.

Tenoreprimo

Recruit
I'm thrilled to get so many informative replies. Thanks so much.
midcarolina best described my desires: "planning to mess around the Harbor, the Wando, the Intra coastal, Cooper river, and such." I don't really plan on getting "off shore" so it seems that the consensus is that the bow rider is OK. I'll look into all the other recommendations, and post back here on my decision. Today my wife and I are going to a local dealer for the first time, and I plan to "crawl all over the boats" to my heart's content.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
I made the mistake when I moved to Topsail Island of buying what was my mental image of a boat: an inboard/outboard bowrider. I moved here from an inland area where that was exactly the kind of boat my neighbors enjoyed... suitable for lakes and rivers. If I'd paid attention when I moved here, I would have seen that 90% of the locally owned boats are outboard center console boats. My boat is OK in the sound or the Intracoastal Waterway but that's about it. I'd love to go outside but don't dare tackle the inlet with my bowrider.

A bigger problem, one you should investigate in Charleston before you buy: is maintenance. While every boat shop around here services outboards, it is the rare shop that will touch a sterndrive. When and if you do find one, you pay a premium for their services. Funny... when I lived in Charlotte, every boat shop worked on sterndrives.

Walk around the marinas and look at what most other folks are using. Then take the hint.

vollymall

Cadet
I had another thought -if you do decide to go with a used one, take a look in the Columbia/Charlotte areas for one that hasn't been used in salt exclusively. That might delay a few maintenance issues.

ssportsmfg

Seaman Apprentice
I would think that for 30 M you could buy anything you want lol. Now 30K will definitely limit you.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
The reason there is so many CC boats in Charleston is are you ready for it....... there are so many sport fisherman, same reason there are so many of them in ANY coastal area down here.........

Had the OP said he was looking for a new inshore fishing boat my reply would have been different.......... The Harbor is generally not that rough, and on day's it is you don't want to be out there cruising anyway......... just head on down the cooper and have fun.

I do agree that a dual console is prolly the best of both worlds.............. But the OP listed what type of boats he is interested in, and they are not a problem in that area.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
I do agree that a dual console is prolly the best of both worlds.............. But the OP listed what type of boats he is interested in, and they are not a problem in that area.

Well, he did ask for comments and suggestions. That's what he got. What he does with them is up to him. And just because a suggestion is ultimately rejected doesn't mean it should never have been even considered.

Chief9

Seaman
We have a Monterey 204 fs, purchased new with a trailer for just above your 30k price range. Its a great boat, but as stated by others, it is not designed for open water use. It is an awesome platform for having friends and family out in a comfortable setting.