decisions, decisions

lowvlot

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just sold an 87' bayliner Capri cuddy. So I am in the market for a different boat.
I have looked at several and have narrowed it down to two that I would be happy with.
The first is a 96 century Arabian. The issue here is, it has some very small blisters below the water line. The current owner moored it all summer. I would be pulling it of the water each time with it being in the water, no more than a week at a time. What say you about blisters?

The second is a 97 blue water. I know nothing about these boats. Any insight would be helpful. Such as, stringer and deck construction. Etc.
Thank you.

Last edited:

lowvlot

Petty Officer 1st Class
After more research I have found out the blue water is a monte carlo.

Any one have any input on this at all?

southkogs

Staff member
In the used stuff condition is more the "thing."

The blisters may not be a concern if everything else checks out. Depends on how bad they are. Got pictures?

What's the power on each of these boats?

Captn B

Recruit
Agreed, when dealing with boats of this age the brand name is not nearly as important as the condition of the boat. Also, consider the power plant options. Both boats look to be the same size but with totally different engines. One has a 4.3 liter V6 and the other has a 5.7 liter V8. How do you want to use this boat? If only cruising around, the 4.3 might be an okay choice. However, if you are doing alot of watersports, etc. that the 5.7 would be a much better choice.

Both boats look good in the pictures, however you should really look at them in person to see their actual condition. Check the transom and deck very througly for any soft spots and rot.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
As always - condition is key.

All other things being equal - my 2 cents is go with the bigger motor. You aren't stepping up into a big block with the 5.7 so the "fuel mileage" won't be much different. Any kind of water sports (or even if you run around with a full load frequently) you will be happier.

lowvlot

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mainly just cruising around and pulling a tuber. On the century rot isn't much of a concern due to it having a fiberglass molded floor. I am not sure about the blue waters construction. I am going to look at it today.

southkogs

Staff member
All other things being equal - my 2 cents is go with the bigger motor. You aren't stepping up into a big block with the 5.7 so the "fuel mileage" won't be much different. Any kind of water sports (or even if you run around with a full load frequently) you will be happier.
Kinda' where I'm leaning based on the ads and the fact that the Blue Water looks to have been stowed indoors.

lowvlot

Petty Officer 1st Class
I went and looked at the blue water tonight. It is gorgeous! Interior looks good, could not find any rips. One thing I did notice is when I tilted the out drive down, it would not come back up using the "up" button on the throttlebut wwould come up using the "trailer" button. My buddy said it was probably because the out drive wasn't all the way down. (It was down as far as the concrete garage floor would let it go) and that if we were to lower the bow to allow the out drive to come down more it would go back up. Thoughts on this? The asking price for the century is 6000.00 and it didn't seem as if the seller was willing to negotiate even though it was blistering and the fuel gauge and speedometer didn't work. As well as had a small tear in one seat. Although a really nice boat, these things are if concern.

The seller of the blue water is asking 6800.00 but said he would take 6200.00. And the the only thing of concern is the tilt up on out drive.

The seller of the century is willing to put it in the water.
The seller of the bluewater is willing to start it. Not sure if he would be willing to put it in the water as I didn't ask him.

With all this info., what say you?I'm leaning hheavily towards the blue water, but would like your opinions now.

southkogs

Staff member
I'm still with the Blue Water. I'd wanna' check the drive tilt 'n trim off the trailer (your buddy might be right) and I'd prefer to see the engine function underway.

It hasn't been mentioned in your topic yet, so I will ... there's an excellent sticky HERE on things to look for when purchasing a boat.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
The tilt up maybe didn't work because it wasn't far enough down, or it could be the trim limit switch has gone bad. Not a huge issue, but you might try lowing the tongue of the trailer as far as it will go (thereby raising the back end) and/or jacking up the rear of the trailer to give the drive clearance to trim in all the way. Then you could try the trim out and see if it really works.

Either way, it's not a huge problem -- the boat can be operated with a bad trim limit switch -- and it's fixable if it really bothers you.

The blistering on the other boat would concern me WAY more than the trim up not working on the Blue Water.

lowvlot

Petty Officer 1st Class
Took the blue water out for a spin today. Tilt and trim worked fine. Boat was solid and handled great. Ran smooth and got on plane quick. The owners actually llicensed it so we could take it out. I pick it up tomorrow or Tuesday.

lowvlot

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, now that she is home, it's time to clean her up. What is the best thing to use to get the ground in dirt out of the vinyl? Not that it's bad but could use a cleaning.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
thats a whole 'nother thread. Look it up.

there are too many variables to know now

southkogs

Staff member
Start simple like cleaner for car interiors. You'll probably need to try a couple things out.