Stickney Fiberglass project boat

Mr.Stickney

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey All,

New to the forums and new to boat ownership, but not new to boating. A lot of my friends and family have/had boats. I saw this boat on a classifieds site and the gentleman selling dropped the price quickly in a couple days so, I went to have a look. Ended up having a 1 year old 350 crate motor in it with new(ish) Sierra Marine everything manifold/carb etc. Motor ran really strong, unfortunately I had already mentioned it to my good friend who's boat we use on a regular basis and he called dibs on the 350 and I traded him for his 305 and he paid for half the boat. So all in all I have $400 invested in the boat.

We pulled the 350 and found that the wood under the engine mounts was completely rotten. Fiberglass is still in good shape so I have carved out all the wood and will be re-coring and re-glassing these mounts.

My big question for the day is that where you go to enter the cuddy the panels or bulkhead is just veneered plywood. Is there an easy way to cover this and to make the boat power-washable? I'm thinking maybe a rubberized paint coating or PVC/FG panels? Has anyone had any experience with this? Its in pretty decent shape(structurally) I would just like to clean it up a bit and make it a little more cleaning friendly.

BTW - the HIN reads out to the manufacturer being Stickney fiberglass, anyone know anything about these?

Franzel311

Seaman
Howdy....as for a rubberized coating I think that would b a bad idea water will sooner than later get under it and it will promote condensation witch will = more rot....

Mr.Stickney

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Makes sense I suppose. Anyone know of any waterproof type panelling available on the cheap?

Franzel311

Seaman
Is there carpet over it you could just mix up resin and give it a good coat any wood inside the hull should b coated anyway

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I would head to the restorations forum if your mounts are rotten very good chance you have more rot just my experience in both my boat restorations

Tnstratofam

Commander
Flipbro is right. It's likely you have stringer and transom issues. Before I redid the motor mounts I would be checking any structural areas I could access. Your probably gonna find wet, or rotted wood. Maybe not, but rotten motor mounts aren't a good sign.

Mr.Stickney

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the heads up guys. I already went that route though. Transom is solid both inside and out, and I have drilled and sealed holes in spots in between all of the bulkheads to check for more rot. Luckily the motor mounts on this boat are isolated from the rest of the stringers so it hasn't "infected" the rest of the boat that I can find anyways.

I have also been beating on the fiberglass in all the access point I can find to see if there are any weak spots and haven't found any to speak of.

Is there anywhere else I should be looking? When I got the boat I knew I could get at least my money back (probably and then some) for the trailer and seats( brand new) plus any other parts. If it is just the engine mounts, I don't mind fixing it , but if there is other rot I will be the first to take it to the scrap yard. If anyone has any tips and tricks on how I should be more thorough it would be much appreciated!

Mr.Stickney

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Is there carpet over it you could just mix up resin and give it a good coat any wood inside the hull should b coated anyway

no carpet over it. Looks to be a veneer that was probably teak oiled at one point?