Bought new used boat, thoughts 2000 Pro-line

schu3507

Recruit
Just purchased a 2000 23ft pro-line walk around with Evinrude 225 HP 2 stroke with 560 hrs. Boat is has gps rador chart plotter synched with vhf, stereo wt remote, hard top, and few other upgrades. Very well maintained and then some. Included roller trailer wt surge brakes ad elec brakes. Full enclosure twin batts attached to a charger wt plug and so on. Went on 1.5 hr sea trail. Seemed solid and sound. Guy through in coast gaurd package, flare kit, fenders, lines, brushes, gaff, anchor line, porta poti and cover. Paid $17500. Thoughts, Ive read about engine and hoping since its like 15 years old wt 550 plus hrs its a solid example? Any other thoughts on boat itself. Purchased to go out wt small family, some coastal cruising and of course fish. Thanks be safe all

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Many will say that the FICHT motor is junk. I don't. I would guess, as you stated, that since this one has been used and maintained it is a good example. But you should double check to make sure it has had all the updates and recall fixes done to it. At this point, the suspect parts in the fuel system are probably in need of replacement if they haven't been done already.

schu3507

Recruit
Ive been told all questionable parts were fixed-changed. Every other year when plugs and water pump were done the tech at a evinrude certfified shop would do or check the ecm updates. Mentioned the indexting of plugs as well. I just wish more pro FICHT folks voiced positive opinions ya know.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
That sounds good. Just hearing that the plugs were indexed is a good sign the owner/shop knew what they were doing.

schu3507

Recruit
Thank Lt. Seemed well informed about the engine and its particulars. Agreed to help with spring set up and launch. Private seller who lives about 40 miles away. Thought that was reassuring.

max62

Seaman
I just wish more pro FICHT folks voiced positive opinions ya know.

Most pro FICHT folks are relaxing and enjoying their boats :)

While others are on here trying to fix their non-Ficht motors.

Imma get popcorn.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
A good friend of mine bought a 24' Grady with 2000 Evinrude 250 HP on it this Spring. He had an Evinrude dealer go over it before he bought it and gave it a good bill of health.Three breakdowns offshore and a new ECM later, he had the pulled the motor and sold it. Replaced with a new 275 Verado

The sale price was high, at least for this area. Your area may be different.....

Last edited:

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Congratulations on your boat.
However I've got to comment since it does not make sense to me to ask for input AFTER you have made a purchase.

Buyers remorse? Hoping for affirmation? Seriously seeking negative opinions?