EZ Loader Tandem Trailer problems loading

sailor55330

Seaman Apprentice
Hi--

First, thanks for all the knowledge on this site. I'm getting really frustrated with my trailer. I have a 2007 Glastron GXL 205 with an EZ Loader Tandem bunk trailer. It is supposed to be self centering, but it rarely does. The problem I run into is usually of 1 of 3 issues.

1. The boat does not center itself on the trailer. It will end up slightly crooked and setting on one of the hull chines. It usually settles after a bump or two, but still frustrating.

2. The boat bottoms out on the trailer and I can't winch it or power load it to get the bow to the roller stop. This results with the boat transom hanging off the rear bunk by about 3 inches.

3. If I back the trailer in far enough to eliminate # 2, the boat is still floating at the back. and doesn't settle on the trailer---see #1.

I have tried to remedy this by backing in to various depths. I have tried putting the bunks in 3/4 of the way, all of the way, the fenders on the trailer just submerged, and just about every other measurement I can think of. I have been around boats all of my life with no issues other than this one. It also seems to be much more prevalent at ramps that are shallower. Yesterday at the ramp (emabarrasingly) I had to back the trailer, load the boat, winch it, back the trailer another 4-5 inches, winch it, etc. I had to do this about 4 times to get the boat to the bow roller. On top of that, I had actually re-dunk the boat twice to get it on straight. Top it off with the spouse scared to help, and well, you get the idea. In the water, in the truck, in the water, in the truck.......

I have been around boats since I was 9 months old and have never encountered anything like this. I can dock a 31ft cruising sailboat with a 10'10 beam into a 12ft slip in a 20knot crosswind with no issues, but this thing has me stumped.

I know every boat and trailer is different and ramps play a huge part, but this one has me absolutely frustrated to the point I'm thinking of selling the boat to eliminate the hassle. Not sure if this vent or a cry for help.

Does anyone else have an EZ loader that gives them fits?

Thanks

southkogs

Staff member
Got any pictures of your trailer? Mine has (originally, but I've seen them added) side rollers to help out on those steep ramps.

sailor55330

Seaman Apprentice
I just put the boat in storage for the winter (MN) so I'll have to dig for old pics. I noted that you call out the side rollers for deeper ramps. I actually have more of a problem on shallow ramps.

I'll look

Captn B

Recruit
What about adding guide posts on the trailer? Then you could back in far enough to float the boat on, thus not needing the self centering keel rollers. When you pull out, the boat should sit right down centered on the trailer as the guide posts will hold it from floating to one side or the other. Then give the winch a crank or two and you should be good to go. Just a thought for your to consider.

phillyg

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a Continental trailer with pipe guides and still end up with problem #1 about 50% of the time. I can get it winched up to the bow stop 99% of the time. I go out alone often so I have to back the truck up and down a couple of times before the boat will center. If someone's with me I can hand them a line and have them pull the boat straight before I pull the truck forward. It's annoying and I can't determine what, if anything, is the problem. I just live with it.

Hairy

Cadet
When I had an EZ Loader roller trailer, you tipped the rear set or rear section down before entering the water. Then backed in only far enough to cover back set. This allows for centering, if you are to deep the boat is floating and not following the rollers to stay centered. As for boat hitting the trailer you must raise your rollers up so the boat will clear, it's been years since I had the EZ loader it worked well for me and my IO 21'

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
It SOUNDS like your problem is a sticky bottom lol

launch your boat, go enjoy a few hours o the water till you bunks dry, cme back and spray them down with silicone spray lube (available at any hardware store), go boating for the rest of the day.... when you come back back the trailer in SHALLOW as before and you should be able to easily winch it all the way up.

Bunk slicks are another more permanent option... the silicone needs reapplied every few months but is MUCH cheaper and works 90% as well

Honestly we probably aren't going to be able to solve this till next spring when you can try things and report back..... Wish you had come to us a month or two ago while you were still using the boat.