New to me boat hull cleaning question

Twidget

Commander
First of all hello again everyone. I sold my boat a few years ago and sort of lost my way with posting here.

My father called me a few weeks ago and asked me to buy his boat to keep it in the family. I went to give him the check and look at the boat this weekend. He lives on the mud hole they call a lake in Abilene. The last time he used it was a couple of years ago when it sat in the water most of the summer and when he pulled it, he evidently didn't wash down the hull.

It will be a few weeks before I can pick it up and am looking for any suggestions on how to get the grunge off the hull. Fortunately, engine wise, he winterized the motor before putting it in storage.

Im sorry about the lack of pictures, the boat is buried in the back of his barn and I couldn't get anything worthwhile.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
pressure washer would be first step.

glad he had it in a barn to keep dry.

What kind of boat?

Twidget

Commander
It's an '86 VIP with a '90 Johnson 115. The boat originally had a 120 Force, but it didnt have enough oompf for Dad's taste. I have never seen another boat quite like this one. It is a tri hull, with a deck boat type layout.

The boat is 28 years old, but probably has about 6-8 years of actual use. My Dad lives in Abilene, where the lake has been really low for the last couple of decades. His ability to put the boat in has been hit and miss over that period of time. He had a custom cover made for it and kept it under cover, so the interior is in good shape (part of his winterizing every year was a thorough Armor All treatment).

Dad said the tires are flat, we'll just air them up, put a little grease in the bearing buddies and you can tow it home. Home is 175 miles away... I hope it doesnt hurt his feelings too much when I replace the tires and repack the bearings before I head home with it.

southkogs

Staff member
A little toilet bowl cleaner as you pressure wash may make a big dent in the grungies. Otherwise, sounds like a cool opportunity.

gddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There is a product call On&Off which is basically diluted Muriatic Acid. It will take the brown right off of the hull. It isn't supposed to affect the wax on the boat but in my experience the boat will get brown again quickly if you don't re-wax it before using the boat again.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I had good luck with The Works toilet bowl cleaner. Judging from the smell and its reaction with concrete, I would guess it's largely muriatic acid, too.

UncleWillie

Captain
I had good luck with The Works toilet bowl cleaner. Judging from the smell and its reaction with concrete, I would guess it's largely muriatic acid, too.

Good guess!!
Another diluted Hydrochloric Acid product.
The MSDS says it is 9.5% HCl.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Try oxalic acid. You can buy bags of it cheap. I mix it up with water in a garden sprayer and spray it on the hull. works great.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Good to hear another good family boating tradition continues! Good stuff

others have posted some great ideas, I'd like to wish you the best in your venture

superbenk

Commander
Just used On & Off on my hull & it was pretty amazing. Be sure to protect your skin & eyes. Cover your trailer with a tarp & make sure you have plenty of ventilation.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Soak it in the lake for a day. It loosens up the grunge to get the majority of it off.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
Generic, cheap toilet bowl cleaner with an angled nozzle. Pull-through car wash with foam brush and pressure sprayer.

Twice a year, she stays clean even if kept in slip for the season.

No fuss, no muss.

Congrats on continuing the family tradition, enjoy.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Try oxalic acid. You can buy bags of it cheap. I mix it up with water in a garden sprayer and spray it on the hull. works great.

If one looks and the active ingredient's in most over the counter hull cleaner's you will find oxalic acid....It is also known as wood bleach or in bulk if you can find it is dirt cheap and uncanny in its result's. It chemcially melts stain's and is quite safe when a few step's are taken.

https://www.granitecitytool.com/node...FdCCfgod0RIAeQ

http://www.dafna-auto.com/oxalic-aci...FU1cfgod46wAHQ

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
I have used the Starbrite hull cleaner that uses oxalic acid. It works great. The Attwood hull cleaner also uses oxalic acid and can be found cheaper at Walmart. I know that the chemical can be found in bulk but I like the convenience and since we only use it a couple times a year I just buy the over the counter stuff.