Downrigger mounts? Gunwales or bench or??

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a set of old (~20-30 years) Invader downriggers that I'd like to mount for next season. From what I can tell the actual base plate bracket for them went with the boat they were installed on back in the 90's so I will be fabricating everything from scratch for the main unit to attach to. The main piece/frame is a thick flat bar of aluminum that was to attach to the base plate with two horizontal bolts.

Actually, I did a search for them and came up with a picture set from another forum, see below. The ones I have are identical aside from the stickers.
http://www.thehulltruth.com/attachm...032d1260719951-downrigger-advice-sany0179.jpg

The two places I have to mount them are on the gunwales or the rear of the two middle benches on the boat. Any thoughts?

What I am thinking is the bench would make an easier mount. I just made a seat mount with a similar idea and it turned out well. However, if I do that the mounts and downriggers there will take up seating room for the other person. If I used the gunwales it will push the downriggers out to the sides a bit further and there won't be any of the seat top taken up with bracketry.

Any thoughts?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Or you could mount a plank on the stern like they do for the rod holders while using planer boards.

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thats an idea. The only issue is it wont work at the stern - tiller style and the bar would interfere. I could put it in front somewhere but at the height of the gunwales it will be in the way of walking around.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... The gunnels will give ya wider bait separation,....

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
You may want to consider Eagle Feet. They are pretty slick as they just clamp to your boat with no holes to drill in the boat. Just make your trolling board, mount your riggers to the board with or without bases (although swivel bases are great for the corners) then attach the feet. Easily removable if you want to remove the whole works from your boat for storage.