how to remove this coaming pad button

JackBronson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Trying to remove my coaming pads to fix the vinyl. Thought they were of the button style since that's what is on the lower pads. Tried to pop one off and its not a button. And bent it nicely in the process.

with the vinyl "button" removed there is a square piece left with a round piece in the middle. This can't be what is actually holding the pad to the boat because the pad is on the much more firmly than I would expect these thin things to hold. There are screws sticking through the backside but they don't seem to line up perfectly with these clips. Its as if the clip holds the vinyl but the backing board is fastened to the boat with screws. There are no screws or bolts that fasten into the backing board from the backside. Anybody seen these before? And know where to find a replacement since I already wrecked one!

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo209518.jpg
    photo209518.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo209519.jpg
    photo209519.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo209520.jpg
    photo209520.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Trying to remove my coaming pads to fix the vinyl. Thought they were of the button style since that's what is on the lower pads. Tried to pop one off and its not a button. And bent it nicely in the process.

with the vinyl "button" removed there is a square piece left with a round piece in the middle. This can't be what is actually holding the pad to the boat because the pad is on the much more firmly than I would expect these thin things to hold. There are screws sticking through the backside but they don't seem to line up perfectly with these clips. Its as if the clip holds the vinyl but the backing board is fastened to the boat with screws. There are no screws or bolts that fasten into the backing board from the backside. Anybody seen these before? And know where to find a replacement since I already wrecked one!

Thanks!

Not for sure but most of the time there is a fastener behind the pads. Boat builders put them together before the halves go together, sure have been a bugger for me figuring out ways to get things apart

dozerII

Admiral
My StarCraft SS 201 had the same buttons, if you turn them 90 degrees so you can see behind them look for a small hole in the vinyl with a srcew hiding at the bottom.

JackBronson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Very interesting, and may be the answer because as I wrote in my original post there are screws sticking through the backside but they don't seem to line up perfectly with these clips.
Sadly, now I have to sit at my desk for the next 4 hours before I can get home and see if this is the answer...

Will update with the results.

Thanks Glen.

JackBronson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Glen is today's winner. Turn the button 90 degrees to reveal a hole which has the screw holding the coaming pad on. And yes, this is a Starcraft.

Thanks!

dozerII

Admiral
Glad to help, I also made the mistake of pulling the cover off of one of my buttons trying to figure it.