Water spots deep in gel coat

JackBronson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Decided to put some effort into restoring the original color of the hull on my 87 StarCraft. Bought a Porter Cable random orbit polisher, a Chemical Guys medium-heavy cutting pad, and a bottle of Meguiars #67 one step compound. Nice results on the fiberglass except I still have water spots. And this after compounding twice and really leaning on the polisher. I followed up the polish with two coats of meguiars marine wax aggressively applied with the machine.
Any thoughts about if I can actually get these water spots out? I can't imagine there's anything I can do besides getting a more aggressive buffing pad and really ripping into this gel coat.
hopefully the photo shows the situation clearly enough. If I really had to live with the spots I could based upon the good results to this point but maybe they can be removed.

Attachments

• photo209526.jpg
    photo209526.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
if they really are water spots vinegar will remove them tho you will need to get through all the wax you have put on now

vans

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I would try using a polisher with wool pad, I have a Dewalt variable speed polisher, as for compounds you could use product you already have to see if it cuts, I have some 3m Finesse-it marine glazing compound that works well with wool & polisher. For heavier cutting try some 3m Imperial Compound, there are ton's of good products out there, I'm just sharing what I've used
I to have a PC random orbit polisher, nice tool but doesn't have the power for gelcoat maintenance like a polisher does, I mainly use PC for applying wax

JackBronson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Tried vinegar on a spot I had not yet touched. Had no effect. I'll find a wool pad and try that.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Well it's not water spots then IE dried water leaving mineral deposits

can you feel these spots by hand? if so you'll probably never polish em off

post up some better pics.... can't really tell what we're seeing in the pic you put up

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It's a possibility it's caused from acid rain. That will leave spots. Your picture didn't come thru for me.