tiller steering behind wheel

Does anyone have a diagram or something to show how the wire rope should be on the goofy looking round thing behind the steering wheel. all my pulleys broke and caused the rope to jump off the goofy looking round thing behind the steering wheel. the goofy looking round thing behind the steering wheel is about 6 inches long and 3 in around with grooves in it for the rope to go around. I got the rope around it now just don't know where the start of the rope should be (i.e. middle of the drum, closest to wheel, farthest from wheel) when the motor is sitting in the middle
Thanks
Andy

jbcurt00

Staff member
Its the steering drum And its supposed to be a cable not rope to connect the drum to the motor via the pulleys Via my phone i'm not able to post the steering hookup diagram, but it is posted @iboats and elsewhere in the internet Google: pulley cable boat steering

jbcurt00

Staff member
Its the steering drum Its supposed to be a cable not rope Google: Cable pulley boat steering Its widely posted @iboats and the internet

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
Does anyone have a diagram or something to show how the wire rope should be on the goofy looking round thing behind the steering wheel. all my pulleys broke and caused the rope to jump off the goofy looking round thing behind the steering wheel. the goofy looking round thing behind the steering wheel is about 6 inches long and 3 in around with grooves in it for the rope to go around. I got the rope around it now just don't know where the start of the rope should be (i.e. middle of the drum, closest to wheel, farthest from wheel) when the motor is sitting in the middle
Thanks
Andy

Here is a link to one of the first video's that came up........... it's not the best quality.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Guys I believe he's stated he is using cable. Now whether it's covered cable is another question.

Are we supposed to read every word. :eek: I guess we should. Sorry, adominique.

And please forgive our lack of manners. A belated :welcome: to iboats.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
a number of years ago a member, tashasdaddy, posted a nice piece with very good drawings on how to replace and wrap a steering drum. If you do a search of his posts I'm sure you could find it.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
Are we supposed to read every word. :eek: I guess we should. Sorry, adominique.

And please forgive our lack of manners. A belated :welcome: to iboats.

On a side note has the post count for new users been fixed? I hate to welcome someone............then come to find out they have been posting for 2 months..:facepalm:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
On a side note has the post count for new users been fixed? I hate to welcome someone............then come to find out they have been posting for 2 months..:facepalm:

I felt safe with a Sep 2014 join date. And yes/no on the post count. If an error occurs when posting, the count doesn't increase. No error, the count goes up.

The link I posted earlier is the tashasdaddy info with links to other cable/pulley posts.

thanks everyone for your information I am still not getting how it goes on here is how mine is on the boat

O____Motor______O
//
//
//
//
// Drum
OO-_-_- O

It all comes down one side

Thanks again

jbcurt00

Staff member
If you followed my or GA's advice and checked the thread we linked, you'd see the graphic for single side cable routing too.

Like this:
cablepulleydiagram001.jpg