swirl / sanding marks in hull?

medic181075

Seaman
I decided that it was a good time to consider getting a new boat. I found one that I am interested in and headed out today to go look at it. While I was looking it over it appeared that someone had waxed it and never wiped the wax off. I reached over and tried to wipe it off only to realize that these swirls are permanently imbedded into the hull. I could actually feel them. It looks as though someone put some sandpaper on the end of a drill and started to grind.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

I have tried to include a photo of where I found this. I am not sure if this is all over the entire hull or just in this area.

Attachments

• photo209500.jpg
    photo209500.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

JackBronson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If it was all over the underside I'd wonder if the boat hull had been bottom painted and the removal of said paint included using an abrasive method.

IMO that by itself wouldn't be anything more than a cosmetic issue. However, it makes me wonder if someone had attempted a repair, I'd certainly be looking it over with a fine toothed comb to check for any other issues.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Sounds as if the bottom paint/barnacles/lake scum (whatever) was removed with a vibe sander. I have seen boats that were not used too much during the season and developed a black bottom from lake garbage.

If the hull is sound and you intend on trailering the boat you will be fine. As mentioned above it is a cosmetic issue only (and it will actually help the boat go a fraction faster ;))

Now...... move away from the bottom and inspect the transom/outdrive/motor/interior etc.

medic181075

Seaman
Thanks. There is a good chance that it is from the removal of scum. The boat is a 2010 and the gauge shows only 78 hours of use. There is no doubt that this boat did more floating that than running. The zinc anode is pitted up significantly more than the one on my 2008. If I can work a deal (I am still holding out, trying get them down to $24,000 ) I will be keeping this boat on a lift, so future scum build up will not be a problem.

I just couldn't figure out why someone would be so disrespectful of to 4 year old hull. Now it makes a bit more sense.