Steering replacement

Tex51

Seaman Apprentice
My 1978 Mercury 1150 is on a 16ft side winder style boat and the steering is busted. I need to replace it and was told due to the engine size I will need to use rack and pinion. Sorry if I am in the wrong forum for this but this is as close as I could figure out where to go.:confused:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Tex - Moved this to Boat Topics and Questions. It fits better.

What type of steering do you have now?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
You can use EITHER rack and pinion OR rotary.... which ever fits under your console... I have rotary on my merc 1150

I strongly recommend the NFB steering... soo nice to not have the motor fighting you all the time

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
My sidewinder 16' cobra uses rotary.

Tex51

Seaman Apprentice
This boat had rack and pinion but I like rotary type and was wanting to use the rotary.

Bondo

Staff member
This boat had rack and pinion but I like rotary type and was wanting to use the rotary.

Ayuh,.... It usually depends on which one will Fit, up-under the dash,....

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I have one of each type helms in my 2 boats and like Bondo says you have to know that there's room under dash for the helm clearance. Like also mentioned don't get the feed back model unless you have power steering that is and follow the ordering directions to a T.

If you describe the problem a bit better than "the steering is busted" it may be just a bad cable, gummed up tilt tube or an actual broken helm.

Tex51

Seaman Apprentice
From what I am seeing it looks like the cable got stuck in the tube in front of the motor. The person I got the boat from tried to strong arm the steering wheel and broke the teeth out of the rack and pinion steering. I had to soak the steering cable where it goes thru the tube with WD40 and was able to use a hammer and drive the steering out of the tube on the motor bracket. I am going to make a wire brush to fit my drill motor and see if I can brush out all the rust.

64osby

Admiral
I have the NFB system on mine and love it. No more prop steer.

Don't understand the "power steering" comment above.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I have the NFB system on mine and love it. No more prop steer.

Don't understand the "power steering" comment above.

From the Teleflex tech data.

"Traditional Teleflex Marine Mechanical steering is still the choice for stern drives, inboards and other power assisted applications. It's just right for power steered boats in which No FeedBack systems are not required."

NFB is for pretty much the muscle steered OB applications and non PS IOs. I know his was an OB, guess I was making a wise crack. I bought a new cable for my IO and got the quick response cable without the NFB due to PS.

I used a shotgun cleaning brush to clean the tilt tube on my OB and I used the bore solvent too! Made the inside shine like new, hope there isn't too much pitting from the rust.

Tex51

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, Waterman I have a shotgun cleaning brush and cleaning rod I will clean that tube out. I do have solvent and some anti-seaz to put in that tube. Thanks for the shot gun cleaning idea. tex51