My new boat

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
After sitting for 16 years, I would recommend a total cooling and fuel system rebuild on the motor as well as a tune up with new spark plugs.

Pull prop and check for anything on the shaft and seal for leakage.
Drain lower unit oil and replace (after water pump repair) with fresh oil and get new drain/vent plug gaskets.
Water pump replacement kit and thermostat.Grease prop splines before putting prop back on.
Carb rebuild kits, fuel pump and replace all lines.
Fog all cylinders with fogging oil and turn over manually before trying to start.

Fuel supply, is it an under deck fuel tank or portable? Advice will vary on what to do depending on which tank you have.

tshaljr

Cadet
I just bought a 1983 16' Thundercraftt SS with a 70 hp Mariner outboard. The hull is in good shape and the motor turns over. It has not sen water since 1998 but has been in dry storage since. What are the primary parts to look at, grease, change, etc. to get it ready for the water?

tshaljr

Cadet
Thanks Waterman. This is definitely a winter project (live in PA). Where can I find books, manuals, etc. to help me in my quest. I like to work on things and will probably try to tackle most of this myself.

It's a safe bet that you will need a new water pump. The upper unit will need to be gone through as well. When I bought my '90 Bass Tracker in '05, it had 25 on the Johnson 115. I took it to the shop and the mech cursed me, because the carbs smelled so bad. IIRC, I spent around $700 on the upper unit, took the kids out and took out the lower unit on a boulder...$1400 later, I was good to go.

Last edited:

Watermann

Hey I see you posted again with the same topic the same day, that can become confusing to us guys trying to help out.

I would get a new fuel line with bulb for the gas tank and if the tank has rotten old gas that's varnished inside it you should decide on whether or not you want to try and clean it out or just buy a new one. If you clean the tank be sure to put an inline fuel filter on so you don't get gunk in the carbs.

You can get manuals for your motor here at iboats. http://www.iboats.com/Mariner-Outboard-Manuals-Marine-Repair-Service/dm/view_id.714520

tshaljr

Cadet
I did the second post because I wasn't sure if the first went through. I don't know how to delete one of them.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Its. Forum glitch, a mod will likely delete the other, if it hasn't already been deleted...

tshaljr

Cadet
Ok, I ordered a manual but in the mean time I need to move the boat but the motor is in the lowest position. I connected a battery and tried the trim but nothing happened. Is there a way to manually raise the motor without removing a bunch of bolts?

Watermann

There's a tilt lock on the side of the motor, you should be able to lift it up manually and engage the lock.

tshaljr

Cadet
I was able to remove two allen head bolts on top of the pistons and move the motor up. Lost some fluid but I'll probably replace all of it anyway.

tshaljr

Cadet
The "steering tube" is stuck pretty good. I removed all of the linkage and tried tapping on the end of it with a small hammer and grabbing it with pliers to try to rotate it but it will not move. The casing will move slightly where it connects to the motor mount. How much force can I put on this to try thing and break it free?