Boat Safety Course

Hello,
I recently purchased a trolling motor for my Intex Excursion 4 Inflatable. I need a Boater Safety Certificate for NJ and to register the vessel. What I was wondering is, since the course is a little pricey, and it costs only $30 to take the test at some test centers, a local West Marine for one, is it possible to just study on my own and take the test? Is the course really that much more beneficial? Or what about taking the course online? I saw a few places that can be done. Anyone tried anything other than taking the "classroom" courses?
Thanks!
Mike

thumpar

Admiral
Each state is different. I took the boatus free test but it is not approved in NJ. You could use it as practice or just an extra learning tool. I am not sure what your experience level is with boats but it is informative if you are new to boating. I grew up on boats and it was just a waste of time for me.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Take the course. Power Squadrons or Coast Guard Auxilliary. You won't be disappointed.

What's pricey? As I recall it was only 20 or 30.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
It's WORTH it... might even save your life OR help you save someone else's life.

ALSO keep in mind this course stays with you for life.... sure today you are in a little blow up w an electric motor but next year you might be in a 260 hp ski boat.

I do not have much background in boating yet, I have read up on safety and navigation, ect using USCG books I found. I stock the USGS required equipment and radio on my vessel. But it could be worth having the extra reinforcement from the class. Also, I will look into the other classes for future use. They seem to have a few other interesting courses from the CG.

So far, I do like boating in my experience. One day, I would like to upgrade to an RIB and eventually, who knows.. :)

Last edited: