planning to build my own boat

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
I was recently inspired to build my own boat, from a recent article in the 2014 October, Boating Magazine (Great magazine) which features a article on boat building. For awhile now ive been looking for a cheap boat to restore and use next summer. But i have not found a desirable boat suitable for restoration. So, when i saw this article and saw the photos of the completed boats and such low cost i was instantly hooked on building one. i have not purchaced any plans or kits yet becuase i am still researching good boats and costs. Some key features i wanted in a boat were: fishing boat setup [not bass boat] Outboard powered, center concole, 16 -20ft range, low draft, stable, and fast. Alot to want in a boat and find a suitable boat for this. one of the article in the magazine had a boat plan and kit available at bateau.com. so i went on their website and found a variety of different sized and types of boats kits and plans available. I've narrowed my list down to four boat plans availble on their site: Outboard Skiff 17 , Phantom 18 , Outboard Skiff 18 , and Outboard Dory 18 opinions on these designs?

roffey

Commander
Glen L has boat plans, might want to take a look. I think they can do just plans to shipping you the precut wood, screws and all the hardware.

Last edited:
They look like nice boats. Plywood and epoxy kits run about $6500.00. Doesn't include paint, motor, controls, deck hardware, electrical, etc. So the sky is the limit here.

I bought my 17' project boat for about $1500 (over priced in my opinion but I was a newbie) and put $2500 in restoration costs, including the glass, resin, paint, hardware, seats, etc. Not to mention it came with a good motor and trailer. Budget wise it's a no brainer to me to restore one vs building from scratch.. But if you want to do it just for the fun of building one from scratch then have at it.

Outboard Skiff 17 , Phantom 18 , Outboard Skiff 18 , and Outboard Dory 18 opinions on these designs?

I've looked at some of those plans in the past and they all look good. It just comes down to a matter of what you're going to be in love with once you've gone to all the work of building a boat.

From what I've seen Bateau and Glen L have the biggest followings for homebuilt boats, and both their plans etc. look top notch. If I ever run out of project boats to bring back from the dead I'll likely build one from plans someday.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
IMO there are two reasons for building your own boat. (1) you need a boat that is not otherwise available; and, (2) you want to build a boat. I'm in #2 and plan to build one just because I want to, economics aside.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Have you looked into the completed projects section here on iboats?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
19.jpg img001.jpg I saw the article as well, and boy did that bring back memories....

I built my first boat when I was 19, financed by a part time job at MickyDees flipin burgers. It was a precut kit for $165 - a 16' OB Runabout. They also sold a kit trailer and that was another $100. A brand new 40 HP Evinrude Lark bought separately set me back another $600. I not only built the boat and trailer, but I installed and rigged the motor too. The whole package with paint, varnish, hardware, windshield and full canvas was about $1200. That was 1968. It was a bargain at the time. You do the math to figure inflation to see what that would cost today.

GlenL has a fine design and makes a fine kit. I'd go with a kit, only because it would save a lot of time.

At the time, it was significantly cheaper than a glass or aluminum runabout of the same size with the same amenities. Naturally, as a poor college kid money was the deciding factor. But looking back it was the single most enjoyable endeavor of my whole life. It was a family affair with friends helping as well. I had my first date with my wife in that boat. We celebrated our 40th anniversary this year. Boy, to have that old boat back again.....

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
My plan when I retire is to find an old 18ft fiberglass V-hull that's totally wasted!!! No motor, no interior No Nuttin. Hopefully they'll pay ME to haul it off. I'll gut the hull and then have a clean slate to build it back the way I want. The Kicker will be, she'll have a wood Top. Thus my avatar WoodOnGlass! This way, I can build my own boat but I won't have to build the hull. Best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned. You might want to consider this as well.;)

bekosh

Lieutenant
No Title

If you've never built a plywood/fiberglass boat, I would recommend building or at least downloading one of the free plans (http://www.bateau.com/freeplans.php).
The 14' canoe makes a good basic starter build before you get into more complex and expensive projects.

Attachments

• photo209326.jpg
    photo209326.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo209327.jpg
    photo209327.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I built a canoe in college with a friend. we first did a foam form. then made a mold, then made the canoe. it was a bit heavy, and for what we spent, could have bought two slightly used canoes out of the Milwaukee Journal.

However if you are building a boat, I admire that. please post pics.