how much for a 1986 grady tournament that needs transom and repower?

crabbydad

Petty Officer 3rd Class
thinking of buying a 1986 grady white tournament for a winter project. it needs a transom and has cracks in the top part of the transom fiberglass. the motor also needs to be replaced. I haven't gone to look at it yet. it also has soft spots on both the hatches. the owner seems to think that only the hatches are soft and the floor itself is structurally sound. it comes with a trailer that needs lights and tires. several years ago I rebuilt the transom on a 17' grady, so I know what is involved to fix it. my question is, what is it worth in its current state? he's asking $1000. any thoughts or advice appreciated.
thanks

Bondo

Staff member
thinking of buying a 1986 grady white tournament for a winter project. it needs a transom and has cracks in the top part of the transom fiberglass. the motor also needs to be replaced. I haven't gone to look at it yet. it also has soft spots on both the hatches. the owner seems to think that only the hatches are soft and the floor itself is structurally sound. it comes with a trailer that needs lights and tires. several years ago I rebuilt the transom on a 17' grady, so I know what is involved to fix it. my question is, what is it worth in its current state? he's asking $1000. any thoughts or advice appreciated.
thanks

Ayuh,..... I'd get it out his yard, if he Paid Me the Grand,....

It ain't worth a dime where it is,.... It's a negative liability,...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
To echo what Bondo said............... It is not worth $1000 but maybe $100 That is a HUGE cost to re-build/rewire to end up with a 1986 boat that would be worth a grand when done.

RUN away from that.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Find the value of the trailer, add the value of any gear or electronics included and from THAT total subtract $500... You now have the fair market price of that boat....

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
FWIW I paid $450 for my 28' wellcraft ... completely solid but needing a repower and some appliances.... I got my 20' wellcraft for free with the deck and stringers already replaced by the previous owner... It was advertised on C/L for over a month for free before I picked it up....

crabbydad

Petty Officer 3rd Class
yeah, theres no way i'd pay $1000 for it, but i was thinking maybe a couple hundred or trade a few tools for it as long as the floor and stringers are ok. the materials to do the transom will probably cost me around $600. plus probably replace the rub rail when i put it back together. I've see 150hp go from $700-$1800. so i figure if a paid $400 for the boat i could have it done for less than $3000. i know these boats can be bought for $3000-$4000. so i my labor would be for free if i decided to get rid of it,but at least i would,t loose anything and it would give me a project for the winter. i may go look at it see how bad it is. i can always tell him if noone wants it and he needs it removed, call me and i'll come and get it. thanks for the responses

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if the transom is gone, most likely the stringers are gone too. boats rot from the keel up.

assume it will cost you about $2k in materials alone for the transom, stringers and deck. then add from there. For the trailer, if it needs lights and tires, it probably needs brakes too. Assuming you have tandems, $400 for tires, $100 for lights, and about $200 for repairing the brake system. If you get it for $400 you now have spent $3100 on a boat to get it to the value of $3000, not to mention the 400+ hours of work.

I myself would pass on the boat unless you have an emotional attachment to it.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Although not impossible to have JUST a bad transom, it would be pretty rare. Very likely the stringers are on their way out.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Although not impossible to have JUST a bad transom, it would be pretty rare. Very likely the stringers are on their way out.

Grady builds with a liner in hull design. Stringer problems are extremely rare, if at all.

Transoms on the other hand.... known design flaw in the aluminum transom angle in the early Grady's. Easy fix if caught in time.

I'm a Grady guy and I wouldn't give you $50 for the boat...

Last edited:

crabbydad

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I may go look ay it this weekend if i have time, then tell him if no one who wants it, i'll haul it away for free.