Securing cover

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
I just bought a new cover for my 17' runabout I/O. It has small 1" wide nylon webbing loops around the outside of the cover at various places, meant to be used insecuring the cover to the boat/trailer, but I am not sure of the best way to secure the cover, especially when trailering the boat with the cover on.

My old cover had female quick release buckles sewn to various places on the ouside perimeter of f the cover. I attached long 1" nylon webbbing straps with a male quick release on one end to these female quick releases. The long straps were then run under the boat and attached to a female quick release using another male quick release attached to the far end of the strap. Having the straps run under the boat allowed the cover to be secured to the boat itself rather than the trailer.

My question is how can I do something similar with this new cover? I am thinking that I just need to tie the end of my long nylon straps to the loops. Or is just running the straps down to the trailer frame good enough?

There probaby is some obvious answer that I am somehow not thinking of, but it has me stumped. :confused:

Thanks!

Rentaltux

Seaman
Mine had little nylon loops sewn into the cover also. It came with several nylon straps that had quick release clips at each end. They would loop through the loops sewn into the cover and around the frame on trailer and clip together then just pull tight if that makes any sense...

R

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
Mine had little nylon loops sewn into the cover also. It came with several nylon straps that had quick release clips at each end. They would loop through the loops sewn into the cover and around the frame on trailer and clip together then just pull tight if that makes any sense...

R

Thanks but unless I am missing something that does not entail running the straps underneath the boat and then up to the loop on the opposite side. It seems to be me that by running the strap under the boat, the cover will "hug" the boat better than just being secure down to the trailer frame.

ziggy

Admiral
i got quik snaps like yours designed for straps running all around (under and over the top) the boat.
i've never used them. i trailer uncovered, and cover it at home. i just use bungee cords through the loop that the quik connects are on. then bungee it to the trailer.
to me, unless a cover is custom fit, preferably by the oem. it's not worth the effort to trailer covered.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would trailer with the cover off.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
My cover was made to be attached to the trailer rails by nylon straps with quick release buckles. I guess one advantage to this set up is that the straps do not rub against the gelcoat while trailering which could be possible if the straps were routed under the hull.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
I would trailer with the cover off.
Me too, covers (most anyways) just get ruined unless they are custom built and really tight. I've ruined more than one trying to do this so now I just use the cover when storing, not trailering. Hope this help ya save a few hard earned bucks.