18' bowrider porpoising

Scubacruiser

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1994 Campion Allante 180 with a Volvo Penta 4.3 GL/SX. This boat porpoises all the time unless I have someone sitting in the bow. This is with the outdrive trimmed down as far as it can. The bow design only has a small anchor locker in the front. I don't think I could fit much in the way of weight up there, but I will try that.

Besides trim tabs, or automatic trim tabs, what options do I have to get rid of this porpoising?

Fastatv

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can't really help you here, but I'm going to tag along and learn. Some very sharp guys here, and will help you figure it out.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I myself would suggest a stern lifting prop and a set of bennett trim tabs.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard:

Does the porpoising get worse when you trim up? Most I/O's that I've been on like a little bow up attitude on plane.

joe009

Petty Officer 2nd Class
you could try hydro foil i put one on my boat and it did wonders.if you try one get a good one

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
I am assuming that you have not played with your trim at all, in any I/O you have to play with the trim to find the sweet spot, some of it has to do with speed and then eventually you will learn to trim for top speed or power to pull a skier out of the water.

I have a bigger boat then you do so what works for me may not work for you but I typically get on plane with my trim mostly down but as I come up to speed I bring the trim up to get the hull out of the water, once the boat starts to porpoise I know I have to much trim and go back down a bit until the porpoising stops.

The problem I have is that you are saying that you have your trim all the way down which I guess it is possible to porpoise with the trim down I would think that it would be a pretty extreme situation, so i think I would try what i told you and come up and see if it helps.

It is also possible that your trim limits need adjustment so try trimming down all the way while your boat is on the trailer and see if it looks like it is down all the way, should be pretty easy to see, at the bottom of the trim limit your outdrive should clearly drive the bow down.

Last edited:

Scubacruiser

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

I have tried both the 4 blade prop and 3 blade props that came with my boat. The 4 blade prop definitely gives better holeshot and less top speed. It worked great for waterskiing and tubing this summer. The 4-blade prop gets the boat on plane significantly quicker.

With my wife and I in the boat, 330lbs between the two of us, sitting in the front seats, as soon as I trim up even a tiny bit, it starts porpoising. If she sits in the bow, I can trim up enough to find the sweet spot where the rpms go up and the ride is nice and smooth. Yesterday was cool, she sat in the cockpit with me and we bounced down the river.

Even with someone in the bow, I can only trim it a very small amount before porposing starts again. I'm talking 2 quick hits of the switch and that's it.

As far as I can tell, this thing is trimming down as far as it can go. Running with it down I get the telltale v-spray pattern. I can't confirm on my driveway because the skeg will hit the ground before it's all the way down.

The other problem with the outdrive tilt is that the top of the drive will hit the swim platform on my boat, and therefore does not tilt up enough to clear the bottom of the boat. This makes beaching and trailering difficult. I've seen a photo of the same boat with what appears to be a Volvo Penta, but the drive is tilted up much higher than mine. The first is of mine tilted up almost all the way. The second shows another Campion like mine with the drive clearly tilted up higher.

Attachments

• photo209238.jpg
    photo209238.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo209239.jpg
    photo209239.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1

Alumarine

Captain
When it's on the trailer back it up so the drive is over a drop off so you can test if the trim goes all the way down.

Scubacruiser

Seaman Apprentice
When it's on the trailer back it up so the drive is over a drop off so you can test if the trim goes all the way down.
I'll try this. It's down according to the gauge as well - below the bottom line even. Actually, I'll just back the trailer up onto ramps. I need to clean the boat hull anyway.

JackBronson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I put the Nauticus SX Smart Tabs on my 19' bow rider, Mercruiser I/O, and it made a difference with pushing down the bow and getting the boat on plane much sooner. (I also actively use the stern drive trim switch).

Just yesterday, with a 4 blade prop and 600 pounds of humans on board spread about the boat, I had her planed out at 15mph.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Assuming the OD goes down all the way, you either have a hull deficiency or a poor design. Adding weight is crazy and a foil will do you no good. Smartabs will be your cheapest fix and it will correct the problem.

UncleWillie

Captain
Has this boat been re-powered?

I can't imagine a manufacturer installing the drive so it contacted the hull.
Your swim step is molded into the hull, it is not like it is an aftermarket add-on swim platform.
Something isn't correct!

In the Full Down Position, the drive should be slightly tucked under, and trying to lift the stern up, pushing the bow down.
This usually requires that the transom be leaning backwards about 15 degrees. Not square to the hull.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Assuming the OD goes down all the way, you either have a hull deficiency or a poor design. Adding weight is crazy and a foil will do you no good. Smartabs will be your cheapest fix and it will correct the problem.

^+1

Scubacruiser

Seaman Apprentice
I guess it's possible it's been repowered. Or maybe just a new sterndrive fitted? Even still, how could a new sterndrive fit so much more different than the original?

Scubacruiser

Seaman Apprentice
I guess it's possible it's been repowered. Or maybe just a new sterndrive fitted? Even still, how could a new sterndrive fit so much more different than the original?

I did a quick search for 1994 Campion Allante boats and found almost all had Volvo Penta sterndrives. I did find one with a Yamaha.

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would weigh it, I would search specs on the boat and see if it is not waterlogged( foam). Sounds like you have a ton of weight in it

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Personally I would order up a set of smart tabs... you'd be on the water with this issue well behind you in no time.... Best $120 you'll ever spend on your boat