Glue Cleat To Transom?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
A few more questions . . . and thoughts. . . .
1. This is a pretty rare Slicker in that the hull is yellow. Trying to match the color after building up with resin could prove difficult (?).
2. There are two sets of old transducers on the boat now. Would it make sense to fill these holes and then glue/screw some sort of cleat over them? This would serve to cover up the holes and allow us a fresh start at mounting updated equipment. Or should we just fill these holes and then redrill in the fill material for our mounts? Not sure why, but the "cleat over" idea seems to make better sense to me. Please talk me back from the cliff is this is foolish.
3. Back to the 5" x 36" x 3/4" cleat idea once again. If its caulked/glued and secured with screws that do penetrate all the way through the transom would this not make a significant substructure to screw the trim tabs to? Is it really necessary to attach tabs with thru hull fittings? That's just more holes through my boat! Thanks in advace for your counsel, Chris

I really don't get the cleat idea. Don't understand what it buys you...

My boat had two transducers when I bought it. I went to a thru hull transducer so I filled the holes with Marine-Tex then screwed (used marine epoxy sealant) a 6" x 18" x 3/4" thk. "transducer" mounting plate to the transom to mount the temp sensor and paddle wheel (speed). Good, clean setup

My tabs are screwed directly to the transom. My transom is over 3" thick so I used 2" lg. SS screws that where, per Bennett's installation manual, dipped in marine epoxy before being driven. I sealed the wood inside the hole for the actuator with penetrating wood sealer then followed that up with a coat of marine epoxy over top of that.

Last edited:

ctanke

Seaman Apprentice
Yep, I think I'm going to approach it the way you descibed digbat

Hey Greg,
Did you use through hull fittings to attach your trim tabs to your Slicker?

Sorry I didn't respond earlier. No. I just used the hardware that came in the kit. Used 5200 quick set and screwed it to the transom. If everything is sealed well there are no issues.