winterizing Water Systems

556guy

Cadet
So this is my first year having to deal with getting the boat ready for winter. I'd like to save a few bucks and do some of the water systems myself but I have a question or two that I can't find an answer to.
How do you pressurize the anifreeze to get it thru the dockside water pressure regulator?
Also, On the AC system, is pumping antifreeze thru the cooling water line good enough or do I need to get AF into the condensation line also?

Going to let the marina do the engine and I/O......not confident enough yet to tackle that.

Thanks for any advice..Tom

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If your willing to tackle your AC and water system, the motor would be a piece of cake. Instructions for winterizing are in the stickies

556guy

Cadet
If your willing to tackle your AC and water system, the motor would be a piece of cake. Instructions for winterizing are in the stickies

Normal times I'd do it myself but a family emergency is forcing me to cut the season short. I don't want to rush thru the engine and miss something. Next year I'll tackle it myself. Head, water system and ac seem like they will be pretty easy. Any thoughts on that pressure regulator?

Thanks,
Tom

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
prior to any flushing with AF, you need to drain all the water out.

if you still need to flush, get a drill powered pump from harbor freight for $4 http://www.harborfreight.com/all-purpose-drill-water-pump-34302.html

however it only takes about 30 minutes to winterize an I/O. an hour tops. drain and refil the gear case. drain all 4-6 points on the motor (motor dependant). poke the drains with a wire to make sure there is no crud in there. pull the lines and drain them. easy-peazy