Almost a Tragedy

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
On a routine "tour" of the Shelter Island Launch Ramp yesterday I noticed a 15'6" Bayrunner alongside a large RIB tied to one of the piers. Since I have the same boat I strolled over to take a closer look - get ideas for improvements/share experiences/etc. As I got closer I noticed the Bayrunner was draped with kelp fronds. Talking to the guys in the RIB, found out they were with Sea Tow and had towed the boat in.

Turns out the guy had been offshore in the kelp beds fishing, caught a wave that swamped him and was rescued (barely) by a passing sportsfishing boat. The waves were up to the extend that the surfers were heading out. My buddy and I hung around till the guy showed up to retrieve his boat. Bit of a problem since he didn't have tow insurance and didn't have a credit card to cover the $1600 tow fee. He finally figured out something with his checking account and was able to get possession of his boat.

When he backed his trailer in we went down to see if we could help him put it on. He said a rogue wave had washed over the stern and swamped the boat. The boat then overturned, but stayed floating. Looking at the boat it's a miracle it stayed afloat because the rear seat plywood was broken away and all the floatation was missing. I'm guessing there was an air pocket trapped under the boat that helped keep it afloat.

Oh yeah. He wasn't wearing a PFD

Here's the news story, complete with video of the rescue: http://www.cbs8.com/story/26573731/fishermen-save-man-clinging-to-capsized-boat

The news person made an issue of the guy being alone. Not sure how much of a factor that was, given all the other problems. Seems like there just would have been one more careless boater to be rescued.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Sure was lucky, that's not much of a boat to be 2 miles off shore out in the sea.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
It's a pretty seaworthy boat, if it's limitations are respected. I've seen 14 ft. jon boats fishing in the Pt. Loma kelp beds on calm days. This wasn't a calm day.

The guy mentioned that he originally was going out to the 9-mile bank (which is about 9 miles offshore). If he had done that, the news clip probably would have ended differently.

phillyg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sea tow cost him $1600? Was it a long and difficult tow to be worth that much?

UncleWillie

Captain
Sea tow cost him $1600? Was it a long and difficult tow to be worth that much?

This would not be a TOW situation. It would be classified as a SALVAGE Operation.

The boat would need to turned upright and "De-Watered" before Towing to shore.
They would also collect all the debris in the water during the righting and control any fuel leakage.

$1600 was a discount price.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
This would not be a TOW situation. It would be classified as a SALVAGE Operation.

The boat would need to turned upright and "De-Watered" before Towing to shore.
They would also collect all the debris in the water during the righting and control any fuel leakage.

$1600 was a discount price.

Correct. Although my understanding is that a typical tow-in from the Point Loma kelp beds to Shelter Island Launch Ramp will run you over $1000.

Talking to the tow guys, the dewatering was a two stage process (after righting the boat). First, they secured it alongside their boat and then "hammered" it - meaning they goosed the throttle so most of the water sloshed out of the boat. Then pumped out the remainder.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Do you think he was stern anchored maybe ? It did look a bit rough out there ..

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Do you think he was stern anchored maybe ? It did look a bit rough out there

He was obviously distracted when we were talking to him, and probably wanted to get to the nearest bar asap to reflect on life's little ups and downs, to the extent that he started to drive off with his motor skeg dragging on the pavement. But, based on what he said and what I remember, it went like this: drift fishing just outside kelp, wave over stern, next thing he knew in water beside overturned boat.

Kind of invalidates my previous concept of calmly responding to a crisis by grabbing signaling devices, radioing for help while calmly giving location coordinates, etc, etc. And, obviously, no time to don PFD if not wearing it.

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class
My salvage cost me $7800 and that's just to turn the boat over and pump the water out. Fortunately I had insurance.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
As a follow up, the guy said he was going to sell the boat (may have been a spin-off from the immediate circumstances). I've been periodically scanning
Craigslist to see if it shows up (and if any mention of motor being submerged). Nothing yet. Maybe after settling down he decided to get it back in condition and keep it.