Withdrawals of selling a boat need some advice..

Seaman84

Seaman
Okay so I have a 2004 Glastron 195sx with a wakeboard tower & extended swim deck, I am going through something I didn't expect. I owned a very good business, till I had Girlfriend problems I fell into depression & lost it all. Tomorrow the buyer of the boat is coming to pick it up, I do feel I need to sell it due to financial issues right now, But I don't want too... Boating is basically my life I grew up right by the lake in my grandfathers boats, and now I've been grateful enough to own one my self.. The lake means everything to me.. I feel I need to sell it and move out of here and start new.. I'm 20 years of age right now. I'm planning on moving to LA.. The thing that is really bothering me is leaving the lake culture and Goodtimes behind... I have 2,000 dollars to my name my truck and a 2 year collage degree.. At this point I feel very lost and Nostalgic about this whole situation. I'm literally going to go crazy not seeing my boat in the Garage... Anyone ever deal with this?

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Rick, I'm sorry to hear of your setbacks, but you're making the right decision. You're a very young man and there will be plenty of other boats. Hang in there bud.

Franzel311

Seaman
Incoop is right you can always buy another when your doing good again...I went throu a hard time to had to sell my boat to but with in 5 years I bought a house another boat and am doing good again point is at the time everything is going on it feels like the end of the world and you wana rip your guts out cuz your stomach is in such a knot but you get past it move on and things get better ...KEEP YOUR HEAD UP KID!!!!!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Rick, things will get better. Been there in your shoes. It does get better, and you will get another boat. cant help you on the relationship side of things. Still trying to figure that one out myself.

Seaman84

Seaman
Rick, I'm sorry to hear of your setbacks, but you're making the right decision. You're a very young man and there will be plenty of other boats. Hang in there bud.
Thank you Incoop, Definitely there will be better times & I'm going to do everything possible to get back on the water, Thank you I really appreciate it.

Seaman84

Seaman
Incoop is right you can always buy another when your doing good again...I went throu a hard time to had to sell my boat to but with in 5 years I bought a house another boat and am doing good again point is at the time everything is going on it feels like the end of the world and you wana rip your guts out cuz your stomach is in such a knot but you get past it move on and things get better ...KEEP YOUR HEAD UP KID!!!!!!
Thank you Franzel311, I'll be back on the water, I know I can't let that spirit go, but things will eventually get better, Thank you for you're response, I really appreciate it.

Seaman84

Seaman
Rick, things will get better. Been there in your shoes. It does get better, and you will get another boat. cant help you on the relationship side of things. Still trying to figure that one out myself.
Thanks Scott, Really appreciate it! Definitely I'm still trying to figure it out but Sometimes god puts things in our way to grow better things, I know eventually with hard work & dedication I'll be out on the water & cruising the marinas Again, I'll never lose that spirit. Thank you, I appreciate you're response! Thanks Everyone, It's helped me out knowing I'm not the only one that goes through this, Thank you all.

Seaman84

Seaman
Good vibes & Positive Energy towards everyone, I'll be back on the water soon, Happy Boating everyone Thank you!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Have you talked to anyone about your depression? I would be far more concerned about that than the boat. You have family members or a minister close by to talk to?

Last edited:

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
Rick, heads up, you'll be fine. Most of us would trade our boats or disposable income to have your youth, not kidding.

While LA can be tough on a lake boater, the coast provides for tremendous boating, albeit a different style. When in Socal I begrudgingly joined a sailing club just to fill the strong ties to the water, learned how to sail (gasp!), and had relatively inexpensive access to the school's rental fleet. While I still prefer power boating on fresh water, the experience was priceless, and it makes for one heck of a date night. Depending where you're at, try Marina Del Rey, Newport Harbor, Dana Point, San Diego Harbor, etc. Similarly, there are water ski clubs, but you'll have to work a bit harder to find them.

Let us know how you fare.

Ahoy.

tpenfield

Staff member
Okay so I have a 2004 Glastron 195sx with a wakeboard tower & extended swim deck, I am going through something I didn't expect. I owned a very good business, till I had Girlfriend problems I fell into depression & lost it all. Tomorrow the buyer of the boat is coming to pick it up, I do feel I need to sell it due to financial issues right now, But I don't want too... Boating is basically my life I grew up right by the lake in my grandfathers boats, and now I've been grateful enough to own one my self.. The lake means everything to me.. I feel I need to sell it and move out of here and start new.. I'm 20 years of age right now. I'm planning on moving to LA.. The thing that is really bothering me is leaving the lake culture and Goodtimes behind... I have 2,000 dollars to my name my truck and a 2 year collage degree.. At this point I feel very lost and Nostalgic about this whole situation. I'm literally going to go crazy not seeing my boat in the Garage... Anyone ever deal with this?

At 20 years old, I'd say that you will bounce back . . .

My thoughts & advice

Two of the happiest days of boat ownership is the day you buy it and the day you sell it, so party on.

Don't let other people run or ruin your life.

Learn how to spell 'college' and the proper usage of 'too'.

Will LA fix your problems? I think you will be back to the lake.

Last edited:

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Best of luck to you. If you had that boat to lose at 20, you must be smart enough to make the right decisions, so if you want another later, you will be fine. The only advice I have is get counseling for your depression. Relocating is fine, but be careful of running from your problems. You need the tools to deal with these tough circumstances, so go get counseling so that you are able to deal with whatever life throws at you. Keep your head straight, and plow through adversity. You will find that the greatest opportunities come when you are down, keep straight enough and know that.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer
It sucks selling something that brings so much happiness. I didn't have a boat for years due to different jobs and then college..had a to sell a few things to pay for that. Life improves with age and your earning power does also which means a bigger boat!!!:)

phillyg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Life is full of ups and downs and you're really young. Get some professional help for the depression if it's really bad; nothing wrong with that. You've got a lot of life ahead of you so expect that things will really get better.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I too grew up right on the water and after leaving home, water and boats I felt lost and miserable. I was only able to afford a small tin boat for the longest time but it got me out on the water where I found all the freshwater counseling I could ever imagine. :joyous:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
hey Rick, these guys are right on target: boats come and go, and if the boating life is really important, you and it will find your way back to each other sooner or later. I want to echo what Bruce and others have said: if your down times don't go away within a month or two, go see someone like a psychologist or a counselor. Everybody hits a rough patch once in a while; with a little help you can put it behind you and go out and make your life happen. Good luck, man! Jim

southkogs

Staff member
Boats rot, rust and break. Memories and lakes don't. Like JAS said, this is a season of life that, while yer' in it, seems like forever. But, when it's over, you'll find it was a short season. You're doing the right thing by making the hard choices now. It will save you grief, strife and heartache later.

The other thing I can't echo enough: don't go this alone, and as cool as we are, don't rely on a buncha' internet connections either. Get someone local and personal who can help you sort through things. Most of us don't go talk to someone soon enough, and all of us - whether we're clinically depressed or not - need someone to help us go through difficulties.

Peace to you, and hopes for a quick and good return to the water soon!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
On the girl related item, you are young and will recover. Your whole life is ahead of you and I assure you that as you age you will see things in a different perspective. BTDT and I guarantee you it was a real bear for me. Girls have been a lot of joy and a lot of grief for us guys and it's just part of life; no two are identical. Just give yourself time to heal and keep thinking "the glass is half FULL". You'll meet another who will be eager to share your life.

On the business you have your education and age at your advantage.

On the boat, just cherish the memories and look forward to the day you will have another. Will give you some extra motivation for making a success with the rest of your life. I have bought and sold many boats in my days and nar a one did I not miss. They're part of your life. For most of my life they were my only pastime.

Hang in there man, you'll make it. Just remember "the glass".

On moving to LA............................

Mark