Twin &0 Hp Outboard on a Grumman 18 Ft fishing boat

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just kicking @ ideas in my head for this boat I bought.
It's a 1991 Grumman 184 SF Ultra with a Evinrude 70 hanging off the back.
I just installed a electric troller motor set up on the bow I had left over from a sailboat I had, (I had to get the bow mount off E bay). This is so I can "creep @ the weeds, etc.
Next step is s "gas trolling motor" so I can troll up and down the St Lawerence.
On my present boat (a 20' cuddy) I have a 9.9 mariner with controls that does a bang up job.
I talked to a guy close to me that has the EXACT same motor as my 'Rude hanging in his shed he's sell me dirt cheap, "Just the the darn thing outta here"!
Have you ever, seem a dual engine set up on a small boat like this?
I'm I crazy to think about doing this?
The boat is 220 miles away, I'm heading up there tonight to lookie at the tramson to get an idea IF it will fit.
The motor comes with a Johnson control box, so I'll have to have a dual control box set up, (like I do now on my cuddy).
or......
Slide the 70 H.P. over, clamp on a smaller outboard, (easier to set a steering linkage up, maybe?????????????
Just thinking out load, kicking @ ideas
Joe
That's my problem-I can't leave well enough alone!

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Leave the main motor centered,....

Mount the smaller kicker motor next to it,...

JoLin

Vice Admiral
What Teamster said- leave the main motor centered and mount the kicker to the side- doesn't matter which side long as you can comfortably operate the tiller and controls. A 9.9 kicker on an aluminum 18'er will be more than adequate to get you home in any conditions. Sounds like a nice find. Good luck with it.

My .02

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks!
Sometimes you know your idea isn't, "one of the greatest", but you need someone else to say, "what are you high"?!!
I went up this past weekend and adj the carbs and look at it REAL hard.
I COULD do it, but, naaaaaaaaa!
I have ideas on how to mount the 9.9 I have and a steering link off the 70.
The controls will be straight forward, just follow the existing controls, mout it behind the 70 controls.
Thanks!
Joe
This is my problem...... "It's working GREAT, lets screw with it to see if we can make it better! Most times, it ends up being sooo screwed up!!!