project boat

kvando

Seaman Apprentice
It's really a shame how the past owners of the boat trashed it,, it used to be a nice one,, just want to bring it back to life,,, it's a lot of work but I am enjoying it and want to get it right,, no short cuts.

kvando

Seaman Apprentice
I like the idea of the 2 stroke as the main engine and a 25 hp four stroke as the back up,, don't want to get in to that computerized stuff on the bigger four strokes.would like to keep it simple and within my ability to install and maintain.

kvando

Seaman Apprentice
I just don't know if I really need to go to a 250, was hoping a 150 or 175 would do the trick.

kvando

Seaman Apprentice
I have a new garlick, not sure of the spelling rated for up to a 30 hp four stroke mounted on it now with a 8 hp 2 stroke on it..it will push the boat but can't really control it

kvando

Seaman Apprentice
That's my next project is to get the right height for the bracket, so I can see if I can use a 25 inch shaft,, they are more abundant, or I have to go to a 30 inch harder to find good deals on those.

kvando

Seaman Apprentice
I know if I have to go with 30,,I don't think they make those less than 200 hp

kvando

Seaman Apprentice
Yes I'm going to use a bolt on bracket 26 in. I have to special order it from stainless marine because I have a curved transom,, they also have flotation inside the bracket.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
6-8 is hull speed... any faster than that and you really need to be able to plane.... stick with the 250... should get you into the 20's

12 mph isn't going to be an option.... you would be running at near full throttle burning about 2-3 gallons per mile with the bow pointed for the sky and the stern way low...

If the boat doesn't already have them look for the biggest trim tabs you can fit... those will help counter the heavy stern.

Also a (vented to outside) battery box up front under the V berth would help more than you might think...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
If the boat has a (GOOD SOLID) swim platform now I would consider launching it and getting enough people on the stern to equal the weight of the motor and bracket so you can mark the water line... keep in mind that would be the empty line and gear, people, batts, fuel, etc will change it but that should give you an idea regarding your engine mount position

kvando

Seaman Apprentice
It's funny that you mentioned that. I had two of my buddies, out with me one day,, they both weigh in the 300 pound range standing on my swim platform underway,, my thought is the keep the same wt midship as designed by factory and have the least wt possible on the back,,

kvando

Seaman Apprentice
The boat is out of the water though, so going to have to rely on advice from the knowledgeable.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I'm on the indiana kentucky border

ask ur big buddies how far they think the swim platform was from the water that day... might give ya a

100 lbs at the bow would probably be way better than 400 lbs amidships

I've seen LOTS of boats that can plane out MUCH quicker just from a person moving to the bow.

If your fuel tank is currently at the back of the engine compartment consider moving it forward... same w water, waste, etc... every pound you can move forward will help far more than just adding weight

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
for a real world example.... I busted a hole in and sank my jetski and strapped it on the swim platform of my 30' wellcraft to get it home... all water was out of it so probably 500 lbs on the back... my twin 260's got me up on plane but it took full throttle full down trim and full tabs for about 30 sec to get up..... had to stop to adjust the straps holding it on and then I sent two friends to the front of the V berth.... got on plane that time in half the time

Normally this boat will plan in just a couple seconds

kvando

Seaman Apprentice
It has extremely large trim tabs on it now,, most of the wt including the gas tank is midship, should I put less wt midship and make bow heavy so it will plane at the higher speed.

kvando

Seaman Apprentice
Smokeonthewater my mother in law lives in dupont about 25 miles from madison,, my project,,fund's allowing will be done in march,, if your willing I'd like to buy you a found trip and be a guest in my home for the launching of this project and get your honest opinion.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Well I won't rule it out but that would depend a lot on timing... are you saying the boat is in dupont or florida?

Yes I would strive to keep the CG as close to stock as possible so since the engines will be so far aft, I would move anything I could as far forward as I could... was this boat V drive or straight inboard?

I suppose any specific arrangements for such a trip should be discussed through PM so as not to violate forum rules.

kvando

Seaman Apprentice
Twin inboards,, ok, don't know much about the rules here, I'm a rookie