Just Bought a 1979 Sun Runner Flybridge

mmetzger1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Decided to pull the trigger on this vintage boat! Picked her up for $300.00 Im sure I'll be on here a ton asking for help lol

unnamed-5.jpg

Last edited:

mmetzger1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here are some pics of the boat. I was really really really surprised at the quality of the boat, especially the interior. She definitely needs some cleaning, and engine work, but worth it. unnamed-5.jpg unnamed-6.jpg unnamed-11.jpg unnamed-7.jpg unnamed-10.jpg unnamed-9.jpg unnamed-4.jpg

mmetzger1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The structure was really clean, especially inside the cabin under the flooring. little dirty in the engine bay, but no soft spots etc. I believe I read somewhere that at some point Sun Runner did ALL fiberglass hull and stringers. Not sure if this one is......

I was really surprised with how clean the inside was. It has obviously been sitting for awhile, however when i turned the batteries on, all the electronics in the boat worked perfectly, lights, depth finder, radio, bilge, etc. ...... However, there was no power going to the dash/ignition, so I have no idea what condition the engine is in until I can properly look into it this Saturday.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
Having been aboard a mid/late 80s Sunrunner I did not believe it was anything but a standard glass over wood structure. I could be wrong though. So long as it's all solid and you can dig into the mechanicals, you should be into it fairly cheap.

mmetzger1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah, Im not sure. Time will tell and at least for the time, Im pump'd up ;) lol

mmetzger1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
PS How small is that back deck area lol. Sorta wished that was larger, but its give and take for the size Im looking for.

bgc

Ensign
SunRunner did the traditional wood and glass until later in the Ultra series where they used an aluminum stringer.

mmetzger1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks bgc,

Does anyone know of a site with actual info on the Sun Runner boat company? Id LOVE to find some info on the model I own. I can't even find a single pic of this model.

So tomorrow Im picking her up, driving her to Dagmars in Everett and hopefully have enough time to start giving her a good scrub! Ill be sure to take lots of pics!

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Congrats on the new old boat. 1979, same year as my flybridge boat, which is currently my project. :)

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Nice score!!! Looks to be in reasonable shape and not beat to hates. Also looks like it has the hardware for a full camper top.

mmetzger1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah, the more I dig into the boat the better it looks. It was obviously very very well taken care of. The interior is damn near immaculate. Not sure whats up with the engine, but that will be the first big project, is figuring out what needs to be done to get her running. Ill post some more pics later today of the progress. Thanks for all the replies.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer
That trailer was probably worth the $300, not saying you won't be dumping a ton of $ at this rig but I would say yea that was a sweet deal! Big boat but does look clean for its age. Hope you get it running soon let us know.

NYBo

Admiral
Nice score!
A couple of items regarding the engine:
1. Get rid of the plastic gas filter. It's not CG-approved.
2. It appears to have an automotive distributor (the capped vacuum advance is the tip-off). It probably doesn't have the correct advance curve for marine use, and is probably not ignition-protected.

mmetzger1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, I posted some engine pics in the engine forum and have been told that your are correct. The fuel line and filter need to go, I need to get a marine carb, and yesterday I discovered it needs a new starter. So Ive got my work cut out lol.

Captn B

Recruit
Looks like a neat project and it seems like you got it at a good price that you can make the upgrades without breaking the bank. Out of curiosty, how does one get to the bow of the boat? Seems like that would be pretty hard. Good luck with the project.

mmetzger1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You can shuffle along the side, but yeah, its not for the faint of heart. Also you can go through the bedroom. Its give and take with a smaller cabin cruiser/flybridge. ;)