seeking information before shopping

Pdm163

Recruit
My wife and I have been thinking of buying a boat. We have 2 young kids that we would like to introduce to watersports, fishing and just enjoying being on the water. We live 2 miles from the boat ramp in our neighbor hood and our jobs allow us plenty of time to enjoy. I grew up knee boarding and skiing behind a 14ft jon boat with a 35hp Johnson. I am at a loss right now on what way to go. We have family where we live so I would like something to seat 8 (preferable 10) comfortable with enough engine to get out of the hole and not burn all the gas. I would love to buy new, but the high price tag and not knowing exactly what I want is a problem. My garage is 22 ft deep and right under 7 ft tall. I would like to store here to cut cost or in my mind put it towards the payment. I am leaning for a fish and ski runabout type boat, ski boat or pontoon. I am thinking of starting in the 10-15k range and see where it goes. Priority is 8 seat, reliability, comfortable if choppy water, water sports then fishing. I think I can fish from anything that's why it is last. how are Tahoe boats? Can anyone recommend something based on this? If it matters I live on Lake Conroe, Texas where the boat will get used most of the year.

My may thing is to get information to make the best decision.

Pdm163

Recruit
If the trailer is a break away, what size boat can we get? does it matter if i/o or inboard? sorry, but trying to educate myself before being educated from someone who wants my money!

Tnstratofam

Commander
Welcome Pdm 163, We bought a 20 foot Stratos Ski boat( Bow rider ) last year with an inboard v8 engine. It is good for skiing, and tubing. It is supposed to seat 8, but 6 are ore comfortable on it. It is pretty good on gas, and was good and stable in most water conditions. It wasn't the best choice for fishing as a trolling motor for her was out of my price range. We ended up getting an aluminum fishing boat for that. it was cheaper for us that way. I have a 30 by 50 garage so I can store both boats and allot more year round. If I had a smaller garage like yours I would definitely try to get a break away trailer for easier storage. We looked at pontoons, but we wanted to be able to tow to multiple lakes in our region. Towing and retrieving a pontoon isn't something I'm to crazy about. If we ever get one we will keep her at a marina for more convenience not to mention better storage options. My garage may have a deep and wide footprint, but the ceiling is still to short to fit a pontoon in her. Good luck on your search, and no matter what you decide on a boat survey should be number one on your list of must haves.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
I was in your position earlier this year. Length is going to be your problem. I ended up getting a 21' crownline bow rider with a 5.0 in it. It's rated for 10 people, we've had my wife and I, our 2 kids under 6 and 2 guests with gear and coolers many times this summer just fine. I think 10 people could work, but after 8 it would start getting crowded. Your biggest issue is a 20' boat still has an out drive hanging off the back, with a 22' garage, not sure if it will fit. On the plus side, if you find you can only fit an 18' you can pick up some 18 footers New with a 200 hp outboard around 20k. You could also angle the boat if It's on a single axle trailer and get around a 20-21 footer. You really need to determine use and size first, IMO. After that, keep shopping until you find the right one. With your budget, there are plenty of really good boats out there between 5 and 10 years old with low hours that were well maintained.

YoungMind

Seaman
Keeping this inside the garage? If so, pontoons are out. Having such a length restriction and wanting to easily haul around 10 people will make finding the perfect boat very difficult. Can the boat be left in the driveway? If it can measure your driveway, when looking at the length of the boat add 2' to the rear to be safe for any engine.

For what you want to do, I would look at about 20' boat, with a I/O 4.3L or 5.7L. The 4.3L will probably be more common in that size. Just remember that with so many different activities you might need multiple props as well.

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Unless the pontoon comes with a scissor trailer, you'll probably run into height clearance issues with your 7' tall garage doors. With an outboard or an I/O I would add another 2' for the outdrive and another 2' for the trailer tongue so you're looking at ~18' -20' boat depending on whether you get a collapsible tongue. But don;t take that to the bank…measure!!! Many 18' boats would accommodate your passenger needs (8 capacity) and most 20' would accommodate 9-10. Might want to look into a deck boat with fishing package. Because their bows don't taper in, you might be able to pick up an 18' that seats 10.

Pdm163

Recruit
Thanks for the feedback. pontoons off the list.
The boat does have to go inside the garage for storage. 8 person comfortable should be easy since my kids are still small. If we have more adults it would just be to go somewhere shallow and hang out. Would a 4.3L be good on a loaded boat or is that why the prop suggestion was made?
I have never thought of deck boats so I will take a look at those.

What is the better resale between I/o and outboards? Does it matter more of brand or boat?

If you had a newer Tahoe and a older "big" brand similar, what is the better direction? assuming the old boat was maintained correctly.

Thanks again for the feedback

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard PDM:

Anything under 22' for 8 people is gonna' be tight, not impossible but tight. I've got a family of 5 on an 18' and we're okay. Add a couple of friends and we have to pay attention to where people are sitting.

I/O vs. Outboard is not an issue (IMHO), but for the size/type of boat you seem to be leaning toward you'll most likely be into an I/O. Value in used boats is almost totally about condition. In your price range, you should be able to find nearly anything you want ... so wait for your pitch.

Have you tried renting anything to see what you like and don't like?

UncleWillie

Captain
I have an 18 Foot Bowrider. With the trailers tongue folded back, it is 20 ft 4 inches overall. (Outdrive to Folded tongue)
It is rated for 8 passengers, but only has 7 actual seating positions if we seat 2 in the bow.
If a third person is willing to sit centered in the bow facing backwards, it will seat the 8 allowed.
The kids love to sit in the bow, older adults not so much.

Person Capacity is 1030 lbs.
So realistically 4 of the passengers will need to be under 100 lbs, and the other 4 will need to average 150 lbs.
That only leaves 70 lbs for gear until my 1100 gross capacity is reached.
40 lbs of that is taken up in required safety equipment.

Four 200+ lb'ers will have you at the limit quickly.
You will need to choose your 8 passengers carefully. 8 big men can top 2000 lbs.

Measure your garage carefully from the back wall to the closed garage door.
You may find the measurement somewhat under the 22 feet you think you have.
Unless you can park the boat diagonally across the garage, (Do you need to get a car in there also?),
an 18 footer with a folding tongue trailer, may be as big as will fit.

If you need another 3.5 inches, removing a piece of drywall will allow backing the drive in between the studs.
The first time you overshoot may put a hole in the kitchen wall.

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
You are looking for 18'er. Possibly 19'er, depending on how the front of the trailer is made, the winch post, and where the swing tongue is located.

But finding that boat and the perfect trailer, with a capacity of 10, .... might as well try building a ladder to the moon.

Either settle for a cheaper/used boat and put the savings into storage fees, or get a smaller boat and take fewer people out.

And as most people soon find out, you don't want to be the guy with the boat, you want to be the guy that enjoys boating.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
go rent a couple boats and put 10 people in it for the day - do this a few times. I believe you will decide to A) take less people or B) look for a bigger boat.

two adults and three kids (with gear ie 1-2 coolers, tube/wakeboard, several floats, life jackets (for 10 remember), towels, extra shirts for the kids and you, kids goggles, oh lets bring some swim fins too they look fun and the boy needs to bring his toy soldier collection, wife purse, 10 shoes, etc, it will semi comfortable in an 18-19'.

start adding a kid or two (friends WILL come along) or more adults (with their gear including another cooler of some size) it will get cramped pretty quick unless you are chugging to a spot and anchoring for the day making a 'base camp'. I'm sure you know kids will not stay still and will not keep all their stuff put away nice and neat on the boat throughout the day, and some adults have the same challenge.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Pdm163

Recruit
Lots of great advice. I re-measured yesterday and it looks like I am at 21 1/2ft on the center in my garage. I found some 7 year old boats under 15k that caught my attention like a 2008 sea ray 185 sport with 4.3l engine, low hours that looked like all we need. Now I need to find something that I will not second guess myself for

southkogs

Staff member
If I re-organized my garage and moved my work benches, I could park my boat straight back with about 2' to spare (18' including the swim platform, not sure what it is from the trailer tongue). As it is for ease, I angle mine in and keep the cars outside.

Between $10k & $15k, you should have plenty of options if your patient. Leave a little of your budget carved off and set aside for fixing "surprises" you didn't catch when you bought it. Boats are mischievous like that ... they make a game outta' breaking on ya'. Otherwise, post links to the ones you're looking at here on the forums and we'll supply you with as many opposing opinions as we can ;)