Oregon Boater looking for advice

DarenD68

Recruit
Hi folks, I've just joined the forum, and am considering purchasing a boat for our family of 5. Both my wife and I have had some experience with smaller runabouts and sail boats (I owned an 18ft Mariah bow rider which I frequently took over from Long Beach, Ca to Catalina Island in my misguided 20's) but no experience in the 28-32 ft range, which is where we want to be at. The idea behind buying a boat, is to immerse ourselves in the lifetyle and spend weekends aboard in scenic locations whenever possible. The boat that catches my eye is the Cruisers Yachts 280 cxi and there is one for sale in Seattle:
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...tt-North-Marina/WA/United-States#.VBn-E-eSNzM
Its the right layout for us and our 8,9 and 11 year old kids (it sleeps 6) and I think, is the right size.

My plan is to rent a covered slip at Rocky Point Mariner on the Multnomah Channel, fairly close to downtown Portland, and use the boat for adventures on the Channel, Willamette, Columbia river and maybe the Lewis river.

My main question revolves around destinations, overnight boating and the conditions that a boat of that size would be comfortable cruising in bearing in mind the kiddos will be aboard. Now I'm not saying I'm heading for the San Juans right out of the gate, but I would like to go farther afield as long as we have a safe mooring situation at days end.

Do I have the right idea in order to give my kids some great memories?
Any help much appreciated and just know that safety is my very first priority so I will be taking everything very slowly.

Cheers

Daren

Hi, and welcome. I see no one has replied so I'll post this to bump you back up and maybe generate some replies. That link you gave doesn't work so can't check out that boat. Not sure what your question is? A boat that size should be good for most conditions, but the question is, are you? Before venturing offshore make sure you have all the training and experience that such a voyage would require. Making memories for the kids is great - just make sure they're happy ones!

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
Can't help with boating destinations, but you sure have a ton of beautiful places to check out. I'm envious. Every Cruiser boat I've ever seen is highly impressive. Fit, finish, designs always superb.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah crossing the Columbia River bar to get out to sea isn't one of my favorite things to do..

[video]<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=c1069c7ae9c6" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/video]