Just curious if anyone has been overloaded on their boat

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
No,never except once when my wifes friend came along.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander
Not sure about that... The label doesn't specify if the weight is water, lead, or people. If the boat swamps, there are vastly different requirements for each. A good example are wake boats. They are WELL over their sticker weight when loaded down with ballast, even in the factory setups. Important part is that it is water weight, so it is neutrally bouyant if you swamp. Lead (or a heavy engine block) isn't, that will take you down. People on the other hand are relatively neutral, but it would be nice to have a little bouyancy to hold onto the floating hull.

Ok don't get the wake boat reference, mostly cause its a horrible example. As you stated it means nothing once the boat is swamped. Meaning that means nothing.

So beyond the only measurable thing, what could it mean to you? A guesstimate by the manufacturer of what the boat will safely handle in all possible weather/boating conditions? Or the point in which a hull snaps in half?

roffey

Commander
the weight argument is like what weighs more a pound of feathers pound of gold, there both a pound right? I agree once the boat is swamped the water is neutral.

Last edited:

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
I have no capacity plate, but you can start to feel a difference when your getting close. I had 11 or 12 guys on the boat this season. Only 2 of us on the bridge, but you definately felt it.

Maclin

Admiral
I thought the idea of weight ratings was to limit the chances of swamping. Once swamped EVERYTHING is neutral, passengers bobbing up and down in the water, coolers making there way back to shore, etc.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I never have been but I've wittnessed many that were and it's quite scarry. One was a pontoon that when they were coming to the dock a number of people moved forward and the front of the toon was almost touching the water.