Just curious if anyone has been overloaded on their boat

m_steiger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First off let me state I am aware of the danger factor and especially that everyone must have a PFD. My 1995 Bayliner 2050 is rated for 8 people or 1,200lbs. I myself am know small guy at 6'1'' and 350lbs alone. Memorial day weekend I left the party cove to pickup some more ladies to haul back to the party cove on Nolin lake. When it was time to head back for the day I ended up bringing 9 people back including myself. 3 of my college buddies who are probably all 220 each, myself at 350, 4 girls who were probably 120 at most each, and one girl who was a good 210 (I almost cried when she was standing on the engine cover, all the guys and myself know thats a no no lol). That equals to 1700lbs give take some. The boat didn't really sit as low as I thought it would with the water coming up to about 2 inches below the molded in swim platform. I putted back to our campsite and made it just fine. Luckily no spot of water patrol on memorial day weekend. So that was 1700lbs plus the amount of onboard gear we had and coolers which could have been another 50-75 lbs. The same weekend I actually seen a pontoon pulling up to the same campground with an entire family on board probably a 20 foot pontoon with almost half of them kids, looked like the rear of the boat was almost level with the water. So has anybody had their boat completely overloaded or witnessed such?

thumpar

Admiral
I have seen it. Our old boat was only rated for 6 and by weight we probably overloaded it on some days. The new one is rated for 12 and we run out of space before it gets that crowded.

southkogs

Staff member
I've done it once or twice. Loaded out a little much, but the boat didn't seem to mind. On those occasions I kept the boat to a crawl speed.

I've seen 'toons loaded out so bad the cans were completely underwater. One family on our lake did that regularly for years. I can't believe they never flipped that boat ... looked like a refugee raft.

roffey

Commander
Ive seen hunters going out to a blind completely over loaded to the point you can't see the gunnels, any wave would swamp the boat. Me personally have never done any thing dangerous or stupid. Wait, I was a teenager once. I did some of the most stupid things. When I look back I wounder how I made it this far.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
My boat is rated for 9. Once I had 8 in it and I could see / feel the difference. Common sense told me I should follow the directions.

Once I did SEE another boat that was visually overloaded. Just as I said to my wife "That's an accident waiting to happen" a large cruiser went by with a big wake, the boat went under as it hit the wake and up came a whole bunch of people bobbing in the water, none of which had a PFD on.

You really CAN fix stoopid, but it takes a whole lot of effort from others that DO have common sense.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Would you load up a boat with 9 persons if it was rated for 8... But of those 9 say 5 kids weigh 50# each. Yeah under the weight load limit but over the 8 people rating. Would lake patrol cite you for this situation or not? I have always wondered this... never wanted to find out the hard way.

snowbrd84

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is one of those questions where if you have to ask, you should probably stick with staying below what it says on the sticker. There is always a factor of safety built into any "rated" load, but you need experience and an understanding of the risk if you want to move up to and exceed that limit.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Would you load up a boat with 9 persons if it was rated for 8... But of those 9 say 5 kids weigh 50# each. Yeah under the weight load limit but over the 8 people rating. Would lake patrol cite you for this situation or not? I have always wondered this... never wanted to find out the hard way.

If you have to ask that question you shouldn't go out on the water until you have taken a boater's safety course. (the answer is yes you would be illegal)

shrew

Lieutenant
To be honest....This reads like..."I've overloaded and it didn't appear to be a problem. Can I have permission to continue doing this?" My answer is, do as you like. it's your cat, pet it any way you want. Please don't take my friends and family out with you.

gddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would advise taking the four 120# girls first and make a second trip for your buddies and the 210# girl when/if you get around to it. For safety's sake.

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
On my 14ft Jon boat the max people is 4, total weight of passengers is 500lbs. Max weigh for motor, gear, & people is 680lbs. I weigh 230lbs, the motor weighs 81lbs, battery 65lbs, 6 gallons of gas 36lbs, & 60lbs of gear (fishing rods, tackle, safety equipment, etc.). That's 472lbs right their. 208lbs left over for max. I've had two friends in the boat, they weighs around 200lbs each, spare motor (2hp yamaha) 20lbs, & a cooler 20lbs. That's a grand total of 912lbs!!! 232lbs over the max limit. We went upriver, 15 miles each way, to a island were all the locals meet up and hangout. Cruised at a decent speed of 18-20mph, burned through 3 gallons of gas the whole trip, & a empty cooler on the way back. I felt safe and had no fear of sinking, but only had 4in of freeboard when at idle and about 7in at full. No waves from the side. Over the weight limit and exceeding the max hp by 3 hp. I'm selling that boat do to how small it is. But test and see how low the boat sits In the water and how much strain is on the motor.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Boat ratings take into account expected weather condiotions that people should be willing to take the boat out in. Its never a good idea to overload, but at reduced speed and calm conditins you can get away with it.

The max load rating is there for your safety. If the weather turns and you have to deal with adverse waves you can get in trouble fast if overloaded.

The max engine size rationg is based on the strength of the hull. Too much motor and you can severely damage the boat. Part of it is the expected weight of the motor. Part is the stress that it will apply when you hit the gas.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander
That rating is nothing more than a stated amount of how much floatation is built into your boat. It's a reference to let you know one thing, and one thing only, which is if your boat was swamped how much weight it will support before it slips under the surface and you have nothing to hold onto.

It means NOTHING about what your boat will carry in different situations, waves or weather. It is not a if you stay under this number you will be safe thing at all.

If your boat, whatever kind of boat it is doesn't handle or perform like it should in the conditions your in. You are putting everyone aboard at risk.

This is something you and only you can be a judge of. Its completely your responsibility/liability to use your brain and not try so hard to be cool that you endanger everyone's life.

(Cool is only three letters away from fool, to quote the great Mike Muir)

rsmitty814

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I drink a little, but I can't say that I have ever been over loaded on my boatttttttttt...

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you have to ask that question you shouldn't go out on the water until you have taken a boater's safety course. (the answer is yes you would be illegal)

I have never overloaded my boat. It was more of a question for people to think about. I know it has been discussed in depth many times before. http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gener...city-plate-max Almost as much as the question of towing more than the rated capacity of the tow vehicle. But i do have a boater safey course completed... and its not required for me to have one to operate my boat. But thanks for your input!

Last edited:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
That rating is nothing more than a stated amount of how much floatation is built into your boat. It's a reference to let you know one thing, and one thing only, which is if your boat was swamped how much weight it will support before it slips under the surface and you have nothing to hold onto.

Not sure about that... The label doesn't specify if the weight is water, lead, or people. If the boat swamps, there are vastly different requirements for each. A good example are wake boats. They are WELL over their sticker weight when loaded down with ballast, even in the factory setups. Important part is that it is water weight, so it is neutrally bouyant if you swamp. Lead (or a heavy engine block) isn't, that will take you down. People on the other hand are relatively neutral, but it would be nice to have a little bouyancy to hold onto the floating hull.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
. But i do have a boater safey course completed... and its not required for me to have one to operate my boat. But thanks for your input!

That is one of the problems I see everywhere. Our foolish guvmnt passes stoopid laws all the time, yet they have not mandated a universal requirement for boater education. In NY, a PWC "licence" (8 hour course) is now required. I admit it hasn't solved all the problems (can't fix stoopid), but based on my observations I really believe it has helped.