How do I remove a clamp screw assembly?

pckeen

Commander
Hi,

I need to take off this clamp screw assembly. The motors I have done this with before have a screw in the 'cup' side of the assembly, and are easy to remove. I'm not sure whether this is a rivet or what. I want the assembly to be re-usable when I am done. How do I take this off?

oldjeep

Admiral
Drill it out the pin on the handle. Looks like a solid rivet that was formed after installation.

alldodge

Staff member
Never accomplished what your asking but I would try one of two ways.
Either drive out the hinge pin then take enough material away from the end so it will pass thru the threaded end.
Or drill the center out of the rivet and back it out. Once out you could drill further in the center of the shaft and tap it for a pan head screw. Put the screw back in with Red Loctite and then grin the head of the screw down a bit if needed.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The threads do not continue, so even with driving the pin out, you can not unscrew it.

the "cup" is attached and peaned in place

why do you want to take it apart?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
The screw and threads are aluminum. Simply unscrew the clamp until it forces the "cup" off the part. When you go to re-assemble it you will need to drill and tap the threaded part to hold the cup on with a screw.because you probably will not be able to re-peen the shaft.

pckeen

Commander
I took it off a motor that I have no use for - I need to ship it to someone, and don't want to ship the entire half of the transom mounting bracket.

64osby

Admiral
The screw and threads are aluminum. Simply unscrew the clamp until it forces the "cup" off the part. When you go to re-assemble it you will need to drill and tap the threaded part to hold the cup on with a screw.because you probably will not be able to re-peen the shaft.

+1 on un-screwing them and I have been able to re-peen them with success several times. The washer (cup) will also need a gentle tap to close up the hole just a little