Help to ID vintage sabre boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sally Mander

Cadet
DSC_0657.JPG DSC_0639 save.jpg DSC_0658.JPG DSC_0647.JPG Hi I'm new to iboats and new to boating in general. I got this boat at an estate sale. The old paper work only says it is a 1958 sabre champion 14 ft.The paper work doesn't say "sabre craft" and I cant find a hull (manufacturer) id plate inside of the boat.I looked on line and all I could find on early sabre boats is that sabre craft started in 1959. The model list for sabre craft 1959 I look at didn't list a model named champion. any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• DSC_0657.JPG
    DSC_0657.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Hi I'm new to iboats and new to boating in general. I got this boat at an estate sale. The old paper work only says it is a 1958 sabre champion 14 ft.The paper work doesn't say "sabre craft" and I cant find a hull (manufacturer) id plate inside of the boat.I looked on line and all I could find on early sabre boats is that sabre craft started in 1959. The model list for sabre craft 1959 I look at didn't list a model named champion. any help would be appreciated

It is not a collectible but it appears to be in nice shape. You probably will not find a data plate since they were not required on pre-1974 boats and often printed on a tin plate that was glued on and often fell off. Since the paint has been re-done on your boat the data plate (if there was one) was probably a victim

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
From that era it could be a locally built boat with only a few built. Very nifty lil plywood boat though. My very 1st one was very simular to that.

Sally Mander

Cadet
THX for the replies SM. The motor is a 35 Hp Johnson Sea Horse RDE-19 C that was winterized after last use. trailer is a little dude. What do you think the whole B/M/T its worth ? THX again This is great site lots of info !!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
THX What do you think the whole B/M/T its worth ? !!
Value = unknown. Starting point $$$, no idea. It's in real nice clean shape for it's age. But being an unknown manufacture doesn't add much value either. Now to some one that really likes old wood boats and finds the design interesting maybe a couple K$$$. Then again it could be more.

Recently there was a 1959 Thompson day cruiser for sale near by. They had it listed at $13000.00. They did sell it too. It was a very clean old boat also.

Magolia

Recruit
Your Boat is A Champion Sabre. They were made in the early 1950's in Long Beach California. They made dual cockpit runabouts and small hydroplanes all outboard powered. They were offered as a Kit or as a complete boat. They were designed as a race boat. The Sabre was made in 12' and 14'
I have a brochure and a magazine article if you want a copy.
I also have two of the boats and have seen 5 or 6 over the years. Great little boat.

Dodge

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.