Looking at a used Sea Ray 225br

GCartwright

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Marina in my area is selling a 91 with a 7.4L bravo 1. It looks very clean and I wanted to make the move to a boat that can handle some rough water in local lakes and coastal areas. Floor and transom seem solid. The marina sold the boat to the original owner, it's never been trailer and they had to come up with one that would fit, it's been in fresh water only. The only thing I noticed was clear fluid in the engine compartments, comes with a 30 day satisfaction warranty, All comments and recommendations appreciated

GCartwright

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes that's the boat, we started to talk some numbers, it's a lot bigger than I thought

roffey

Commander
I have a 20 ft stingray with a 4.3l merc. on a flat out run it will do 56mph, puts a smile on my face every time. I moved up from a 18 ft and this boat is just bigger all around. I can imagine how much bigger this 22 and a half footer would be. The boat looks like it has all the bells and whistles and Sea Ray is an upgraded boat.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It's a nice boat but the price is WAY too high. Should be a lot closer to $10K

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Any way you look at it the dealers in the Okanogan/Shuswap are expensive, try craigslist-Kijiji for all BC and Wash state..

BF

Lieutenant
A buddy of mine has a 2006 searay of that size. Big boat... heavy to tow. He has a 5.7 and wishes he had more power when he has a load of people. He seems to always be fiddling with props to try and compensate for the engine.

BF

Lieutenant
just wanted to add... it's a good looking and a good sized lake boat, but I think there are quite a few coastal / ocean guys that would argue that no bow rider is a "rough water" boat. For nasty conditions, a closed bow that would shed the water (if it gets stuffed) would be preferable.

m_steiger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That does look like a boat that has been very well kept. I agree with bruceb58 that the price is very high. I would offer $9500 and work up from there. The 30 day satisfaction gurantee is a nice deal. I would ask to do a water test with the salesman onboard and see how she does in the water and really put it through her paces to see if you notice anything out of the normal.

GCartwright

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have put in a offer on this boat which I think is a fair price, hope to hear back today. If accepted I would put down a deposit and do a water test and arrange for a independent survey. Prices in Canada are generally higher than in the U.S and those I've seen on NADA
I live on the coast but spend a fair bit of time in the interior and would prefer to buy up there since the odds are much higher of getting a fresh water boat. Hopefully this marina wants to turn over some inventory at year end!
Do dealers have issues with surveyors on there property inspecting a boat and doing a water test?

I'm not planning on being in rough waters just want the ride to be smoother than on my current 17' lake boat when there's a one foot chop, It be nice to get off the boat at the end of the day without a sore back

Last edited:

BF

Lieutenant
Good luck! I hear you about pricing... I'm in Manitoba and prices are definitely higher north of the border. I bought my 17' I/O in Minnesota.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
I have put in a offer on this boat which I think is a fair price, hope to hear back today. If accepted I would put down a deposit and do a water test and arrange for a independent survey. Prices in Canada are generally higher than in the U.S and those I've seen on NADA
I live on the coast but spend a fair bit of time in the interior and would prefer to buy up there since the odds are much higher of getting a fresh water boat. Hopefully this marina wants to turn over some inventory at year end!
Do dealers have issues with surveyors on there property inspecting a boat and doing a water test?

I'm not planning on being in rough waters just want the ride to be smoother than on my current 17' lake boat when there's a one foot chop, It be nice to get off the boat at the end of the day without a sore back

If you get stuck coming up the lake across from Peachland during a storm you will appreciate the deep V hull and bigger boat .

GCartwright

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Dealer accepted my offer. Was expecting him to counter so I'm happy with the price.
The only local surveyor I can find is Sam's Marine Surveyor (he doesn't do engines though)Anyone have any recommendations for the Okanagan?

Thanks for all your input!

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Inland marine survey Vernon 250-542-6322, he did not do our motors but did a decent job.

(the only way to survey a motor is to pull it down, next best thing you can do is check PSI per cylinder when engine warm)

roffey

Commander
Good luck, I know you will enjoy the bigger boat. I agree with the higher prices here in Canada. I have read here and agree that an older boat is all about condition regardless of the make. Now if you get the boat it will make this winter the longest... LOL