Small Aluminum Boat Trailer~~~what is your width?

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
I am considering the purchase of a 12-16 foot aluminum boat. I see many that have beams that will fit through my gate easily which is around 84 inches so I can keep my HOA happy and still have my garage.
What I cannot seem to find the easily and searching the Internet is the specifications for a typical trailer for such a boat. I see in some pictures that the fenders of some trailer designs actually sit outside the hull measurement.
We only have one dealer locally and they don't carry much to look at.
If you have your boat sitting at home would someone mind giving me a maximum width a trailer for say 14 foot boat?

Thanks

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
The trailer for the boat in my signature is 81" wide, which is slightly narrower than the boat itself.

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks, that would fit inside my wider gate that I just put in but the boat may not dependent upon the beam.
I would like to have a boat like yours but I think I am going to wind up with a smaller aluminum boat to make things fit.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
the trailer can be just about any width... the beam of the boat really doesn't mandate the trailer width....

Example I have an 11' wide cruiser on a trailer that is 8' wide and in the past I had a 7' wide boat on a trailer that was 8' wide..... You can very easily have te rtailer narrower than the boat but usually that will make the boat sit a litter higher off the ground as the fenders have to fit under it..... Basically you are gonna have to take your tape measure with you when you go boat shopping.

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
Yes I know that, but I can find the beam information for the boats easy on the internet. Just no specifications for trailers.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I think you are misunderstanding my answer..... a certain make and model boat does NOT go on a specific make and model trailer..... You would have to look up the make and model of trailer to get it's overall width..... Example a 2003 EZ loader 3500 (made up model number) ..... knowing the width of trailer under someone else' (example) Lund 16' aluminum boat has absolutely no value to you unless they are selling it to you....

When purchased new they buyer can specify any trailer they want under their new boat OR they may already have a trailer and put their new boat on it.

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
I am fully aware that many trailers will fit many boats and adjust as required.
That still does not change the fact that for some reason I cannot find full specifications (including the width) of the trailers, for any maker.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
well if you have a make and model I would be happy to try and help you find the info you need

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
I have not bought the boat and trailer yet. I am trying to find a combination that will fit through my gate.
So how can I give you specific model information?
I guess I will just have to drive the 100 miles down to Phoenix and make some measurements.