Question Before I Purchase a Used Yukon Delta Houseboat.

Dillon43

Recruit
I'm looking at a used Yukon Delta Houseboat. Trailer has new axels, great shape. Boat itself needs some interior work and I noticed one spot in front of the couch there is a soft spot. No title, but the seller said he has a friend that can get it from a lien for $400. He had sold the boat to a friend on payments and allowed him to get it in his name. Made payments religiously, however committed suicide before paying it off completely. No family, no heirs. State got all assets except this boat for some reason. The motor has a new electric tilt. He wants $2500. firm, plus $400 for title. I don't mind paying for the title or the boat. My question is, how do I know if the hull and transom are water logged and rotten? (My thoughts on the sell to someone else is that he stored the boat for them and had it at the time. I will ask him how he ended (up with it if the state got everything else, and why didn't he put himself as the lien holder?).

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class
Something sounds a little fishy for sure. You might grab the HIN and run it past which ever agency handles boats in your state and see what they say the status is before you get any further involved including structural evaluations. Also if it's an outboard does your state require outboard titles too? Just something to think about. The other more obvious option is to walk away and look for the next deal that has a better situation. They are always out there, just takes some time and hunting to find them.

Fastatv

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm looking at a used Yukon Delta Houseboat. Trailer has new axels, great shape. Boat itself needs some interior work and I noticed one spot in front of the couch there is a soft spot. No title, but the seller said he has a friend that can get it from a lien for $400. He had sold the boat to a friend on payments and allowed him to get it in his name. Made payments religiously, however committed suicide before paying it off completely. No family, no heirs. State got all assets except this boat for some reason. The motor has a new electric tilt. He wants $2500. firm, plus $400 for title. I don't mind paying for the title or the boat. My question is, how do I know if the hull and transom are water logged and rotten? (My thoughts on the sell to someone else is that he stored the boat for them and had it at the time. I will ask him how he ended (up with it if the state got everything else, and why didn't he put himself as the lien holder?).
Did you ask the seller the same questions that your asking here? If not, you might......sounds really strange. Good luck.

thumpar

Admiral
I would be more worried about the paperwork than the condition of the boat in this case. You can get yourself into a big mess if there is any kind of missing info or if things were not done right.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
Might also need the title for the trailer. Depends on the state you are going to register it in.

If the guy selling the boat does not have all the necessary paperwork in hand to show you, I would be looking for another boat.

Last edited:

Dillon43

Recruit
Ok, thank you all for your help. I agree paperwork is very important. I'll do your suggestions.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... Ya either gotta crawl into the bilges, 'n look for Yerself,....

Or hire a Surveyor,...

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander
Disregarding the legal issues (big issues) are we talking a stern drive, inboard or outboard?

Easiest way to tell if transom is wet is drill some hole in it.

The hull won't be cored, so no it's not waterlogged.

Stringers, bulkheads???? Poke it and drill it.

Decks? Stomp on it all, see if it's mushy.

Sounds to me like he'd be lucky if you were cool enough to drag it away from his place and save him the headaches. Don't know where ya live, but $400 for what??? Is that somehow including title fees with state?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Having gone through many, many title nightmares, I can tell you I've heard that same story before... RUN, run far away! Unless there is a title in hand, don't even talk to the seller. I'd even suggest looking at the title BEFORE you look at the boat! (got burnt on a snowmobile like that. Seller said he had the title, I met him halfway to look it at, liked it, and then the guy said he had accidently brought the wrong title, and would mail it to me... Yeah, the rest was a pure nightmare...)