Need Advice: Considering Boat or Jet Ski's

djtech2k

Cadet
I am considering getting a boat or jet ski's for my family of 4. Its my wife and I, with our 2 teenage sons.

I grew up with boats so I have a lot of good memories, but its been a long time ago. I have been thinking of getting a boat or 2 jet skis for some weekend fun. We do not live on or near a lot of big water. We have 1 river big enough that is about 30mins away, with a few different big lakes about 2+ hrs away. So we will not be on water every day or anything. This will be freshwater.

I have been a bit scared of owning a boat because of having to transport/tow all the time and frankly the cost. It does seem easier to transport or deal with jet skis, but I have not owned any so I could be wrong. Another part of this is that I do not know if I would want to get a jet boat or a prop boat. I had prop boats growing up, but something about the jets seem nice to me. Never been on one, but they seem nice. I have laid eyes on a couple of the Yamaha jets and I was impressed with how it looked.

Anyway, I am looking for some advice or experiences on what to buy and so forth. Like Jets Skis vs boat? If boat, jet vs prop?

Since this is a relatively new thought, I originally thought about just finding a relatively low-cost setup for $5k or so and just paying cash. As I look more, I see I cannot get much for that, so I would consider financing if I found a very good deal. I am open to new or used, but I do not want to get into a maintenance/repair nightmare. I have had Yamaha recommended to me for jet skis, but have no idea on boats since I know there's a million boat companies.

Again, any suggestions on what to get and the best place/price would be great. I figured that this time of year might be good with people or dealers wanting to dump inventory.

Thanks in advance.

thumpar

Admiral
I have had both. For a family a boat is the way to go. A PWC is fun but more of an addition to the boat. You might be surprised what you can get for 5k. I sold my last boat for $2700 and it was in great shape.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
A boat could actually be a bit cheaper than jetskis....the latter go through fuel like it is free... boats can go either way there... a 16'er with an outboard or 4 cyl I/O could use less fuel than a single jetski...

It's nothing to go through $100 or more in fuel + oil in a day with my two jetskis and $200 isn't out of the question

Last edited:

SpitAndDirt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There are so many different ways this can go. First off, I understand the intention to get on the water on a budget. I feel that within that budget, you should be prepared to invest money either in maintenance or repair. Obviously the cheaper way to go would be to learn how to fix it yourself, but not everyone is that mechanically inclined.

I feel like this will ultimately be a case of 50/50. I say that because I am in the same situation as you regarding the drive to the nearest body of water. What I have learned is that you never get to the water as much as you intend to. Unless you are that dedicated, making the 30 minute drive or 2+hour drive always seems to keep me limited to just a handful of times of the water during the summer. It sucks really, I hope I get to move closer to the water in a couple years.

I don't think I can conclusively sway you one way or another, but I can think a number of questions I would ask before deciding one direction or another.

-What will you be doing the most on the water? Tying up to other boats? Anchoring in a cove? Pulling the boys around the lake or river(tubing/skiing)?
-Where will you be on the water the most?
-Is there a PWC beach or just docks? A beach would make it easier to have fun on land and then go play on the water.
-Do you know what your family's level of interest is for going on the water? Will it just be you, you and the wife, or the whole family?
-Will you want to invite friends or entended family?
-Depending on your boys ages, will you always go together as a family or will your boys want to bail on that idea because they want to chase girls? :rolleyes:
-Do you ever intend to fish?
-Where will you store it/them?
-If you decide that you want to unload your boat/jet ski's later, what is their resale value? How quickly can you get out from under them?

After even reading my own questions, I think I may suggest that a boat is a better way to go if you intend on family outings. I don't know what the laws are in your state, but you can't pull a person on a tube with a PWC unless you have a rear facing passenger. That means you will need a 3 person ski. And that limits you to just playing on the water, but never just anchoring somewhere and relaxing. And along with that, I would say that buying a jet boat isn't a bad way to go. They tend to less problematic because the jet boats you are looking at probably have little to no wood in their construction and therefore no rot hidden under the floor or transom. I don't have a ton of experience with jet boats, I've only worked and played on older 2 stroke Sea-Doo Speedsters and Challengers. They suffer from the same problems encountered with Sea-Doo PWC's in that they require attention to the fuel system and electrical systems after all these years.

I hope this has been helpful.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
Towing a trailer with 2 decent sized jetskis/wave runners is not going to be really any different than towing a 18 foot boat.

You all can't fit on one jetski.

A jetski is fun, but it is difficult to for you all to sit around and have a beer (or other beverage) at the end of the day on a jetski.

You will always get wet on a jetski.

Two jetskis mean two of everything. Both to go wrong and twice the maintenance. Insurance will be higher too.

You can't carry much on a jetski (i.e. cooler with lunch).

Maybe you should think about a 16-18 foot RIB. While they don't have the same interior space as the same size "hard" boat, they are much lighter and easier to tow.

nlain

Commander
I have both, the boat is best for family and friends, jet skis could be a nice add on toy to the boat depending on the waters and possible beach areas. I enjoy both, depending on what I want to do. Both will suck gas at WOT, both can sip gas at lesser speeds. I have rode mine for 2+ hours on about 5 gal gas, some wot some cruise, my boat will use about 6 to 7 gal per hour at a cruise speed of 3000 to 3500 rpm. If just you and the wife are going to the water and you have places to beach the skis, you can also rig an anchor on them, so you can stop and enjoy the surroundings or have lunch. You can fish from skis, although not as easy as from a boat.. In the end you will have to make this decision yourself with the info you get here, it will all boil down to what your families interests are.

thumpar

Admiral
One thing you can do on a boat is bring your kids friends. We outgrew our 6 passenger rated boat and bought a 12 passenger rated last year. We can now take a bunch of kids or another family with us. PWCs are fun to fool around on but not really a family day on the lake. If I had a lake place I would probably have 1 or 2 but we trailer.

Last edited:

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class
My buddy has always preferred jet skis, while I have always had boats. Like others have mentioned, you can't have it both ways without spending $$$. You will need to be realistic with your intentions and go from there. Plenty of good used boats available for <$5k, but a pair of decent skis could easily exceed that same amount. I've owned outboards and I/Os, so I can't really comment on the jets other than you need to be on the throttle to turn. In an emergency, this could be a problem for anyone NOT intimately familiar with that machine. No matter which direction you go, just be prepared for the costs of maintenance, fuel, and storage if you aren't already equipped. I do my own maintenance (retired Army mechanic), store everything on my property, and live within 20mi several lakes and rivers. That being said, I would love the performance and fun-factor of a jet ski if it were just me riding it. But my family loves cruising on a boat, taking the coolers and dogs with us, bringing friends along, going fishing and kneeboarding during the same trip, and getting out of sun (bimini/full enclosure). Plus, when it just me and the Mrs out on the water...............well, you get the point!

southkogs

Staff member
... PWC are "personal" experiences (maybe 2 people, but that's about it). Boats are "family" experiences. <== Not 100% true all of the time, but more often than not, it's easier to do something "family" on the boat. You'll enjoy either machine, but I would lean towards a boat.

We have an 18' I/O stashed in our 2 car garage. Lake is 20 minutes away. We can load up 5 of us & 2 dogs, drive out and be pulling off the courtesy dock within 35 minutes. We'll spend a couple of hours out on the lake doing what we want, load it on the wagon and head home for dinner. I'll tug the boat outta' the garage on Saturday and do maintenance and cleaning along with the cars. <== as easy as any PWC I could get my hands on.

My Admiral prefers to stay dry while on the lake. PWC won't pull that off.

Welcome aboard & have fun shoppin'.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
A boat is better for family outings and teenagers will probably want to bring friends at least some of the time so a bigger boat will be more enjoyable. You don't mention the lakes or river you plan on using but if its 30 min to the river and 2 hours to the lake, you probably won't be going to the lake often. The extra driving time really takes a bite out of the boating day.

haulnazz15

Captain
This might be an excellent case for a jet boat (SeaDoo/Yamaha). Heck, even the old school jet boats. They'd be usable in the river nearby, and usually seat 4-6 people for use as a family boat. Low maintenance and relatively low purchase cost.

Two jet skis (any brand is fine, I prefer Kawasakis) is fine, and I doubt you'd have much of any maintenance cost on them. Fuel is probably more than a boat, but the 4-stroke non-supercharged models are relatively decent on fuel usage. The problem is that there isn't much of a way to spread out or relax while on a jet ski. You spend time together once you get to a beach or dock, but while underway you are separated. Carrying water toys/coolers/etc becomes a pain as well, where a boat solves most of those problems.

I'd agree with the above that $5K for a boat is somewhat of a crapshoot in terms of the quality/condition of the boat you will find. Hence my recommendation for a jet boat being easy to trailer and big enough to start out with if you get one of the early 00's models.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Being in the water vs on it, are two completely different things. I like having the choice, Michigan isn't always nice enough to be in the water and dripping wet. Your choice.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, Jet Skis always want to race my speedboat. Whereas I can beat most of them in speed, I can take 3 girls and a cooler on my speedboat. That beats all of them....I vote for boat...

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
We have both. After the coolness of the jetski wore off my whole family still preferred the boat. Much more long term entertainment and family time with the boat. It is, however, a lot of fun to anchor the boat, swim around, and take turns ripping around on the jetski.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
For $5k you will have to be looking at 90s era jet skis. These will be smaller (not comfortable for a full day on the water with two adults on each one) and require a lot of maintenance.

djtech2k

Cadet
Boat vs PWC Purchasing Advice

Every couple of years I start thinking about buying a boat or a couple pwc's. I guess I am back to it again.

I live about 2.5 hours from a couple lakes and within 30 minutes of a river big enough to get on, but I prefer to not do the river for the most part. I have a family of 4 (adults), and of course friends and extended family. I think if I had pwc's or a boat, I would use it on weekends in the summer and I hope one day down the road to have a lake house or some kind of more permanent presence at a lake.

I grew up around boats when I was young and of course have ridden pwc's. I am a little stuck between considering pwc's or a boat, so any advice is helpful.

I have been just snooping on the internet to see what might be available and what it may cost me. I do not have an exact $$ budget just yet, but just for argument sake, lets say the top end would be around $20k. I would love to be able to spend less, but just so I have a number to talk about, we can use that as a guideline. I have been around boats enough to know differences like outboard vs inboard vs i/o engines. I have always been fascinated with boats with jet motors in them, like the yamaha's. I have never been in one of them, but they always interest me. I have heard the typical stuff about how jet engines are harder to find mechanics for and such, but I do not know how true that is now vs what it was years ago.

So I am looking for some advice on the boat vs pwc conversation, and also what a models/type would be a good choice and deal. For example, I have found a 2015 Yamaha AR912 with 112 hours for about $23k. The pictures make it look like its in good shape, but again I do not know them well at all. Is that a good price? Is the single engine enough to power that boat?

One thing I try to figure out is who will use whatever I get. For example, I know my wife and I will be together to use it. My 2 sons are adults now and will be with us sometimes, but not always. We do have friends and other family that will join, but again, I do not know how often. Riding PWC's are always fun and I like that they would be easier to transport, but will it be practical vs get tired of being separated. If I went with pwc's, I would want to get 2 of them.

Any advice, thoughts, or suggestions?

briangcc

Commander
I won't get into a brand debate as everyone has their preferences. What I will offer is this....

With a boat, there's room for yourself and your wife when the kids don't come along to bring extras like coolers, swim gear, dogs, etc. With your adult kids...there's room for eventual grandkids. In other words....room to grow as your family continues to grow.

As for jet boats...the water where you will be boating, is that weed infested? If so, jets don't like sucking in weeds and a prop boat would be better suited.

As for a jet ski...where are you located? In NY, they passed a law several years back now where EVERY PWC operator is required to take & pass a boating course. You may want to look into that if you haven't already passed a course and your state requires it.

djtech2k

Cadet
Thanks. I have no idea how this topic ended up being added to the previous thread from 2014.

I do understand that a boat is more versatile when it comes to people. I am just not sure how often we will have people and how many. I know we will have some, for sure, but it is a bit of an unknown.

If I were to end up focusing on pwc's, I would probably look for Yamaha or Kawasaki, only because I have read about people complaining about maintenance and seals on the Sea Doo's.

For a boat, I thought you could get more boat for less price on a standard prop boat, but my searches on places like boat trader do not seem to back that up. So for a boat is there any advantage/disadvantage to going with jet vs prop? I mean I know there are benefits, like an inboard gets on a plane faster and such, but they also seem to be very $$$.

So like I mentioned, I found that Yamaha AR912 with 112 hours for under $23k. I read that it has 1 jet motor where some others have 2 motors. Is this a good boat and does that 1 motor provide enough power for it? I am sure we will do some tubing and stuff like that, but most else would be just general use I suppose. I love to fish, but I know this would not be a fishing boat. So whats the verdict on this model boat and does it sound like a good price? I am hoping to be able to have 6 people or so in a boat if I got one. Nothing exact, but just a thought.