cleaned rubrail now it's worse??????????????

jeremy5780

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My flats boat has white rubber rub railing around the boat well after multiple outings and rubbing up against pilings ect it had black marks on it. I took a little carb cleaner and put it on a rag and the black marks came right off and the white rail looked new again. well a couple days later I have noticed everywhere I cleaned with carb cleaner has turned yellow like someone took a highlighter to it! does anyone have any ideas other than replacing the whole railing? how can I get it off?

southkogs

Staff member
I'm gonna' guess that's a chemical reaction from the carb cleaner ... I would try two easy things to see how far it's gone below the surface: first a Magic Eraser and then maybe a little Armor All. Try it in an inconspicuous spot.

oldjeep

Admiral
Carb cleaner eats rubber, it is why it says on the can not to use it on rubber.

woosterken

Lieutenant
wash it with dawn dish soap to get the carb clearner off,the put wesley's white wall tire cleaner on it ?
ken

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah rub rails are vinyl and carb cleaner was a bad choice to use on it, especially the white. I would imagine the damage is done now and the vinyl which is one color all the way through is pretty much permanently discolored by the chemicals in the carb cleaner. Your only hope would be fine some sort of solution out there that will bleach the color back to white like some sort of white wall tire cleaner or something like barkeeper's friend. If it works you'll end up having to do the entire rub rail to make it even colored again. You have nothing to loose now so start trying things out or buy some new rail.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I think your options are use carb cleaner on the whole thing and embrace your new yellow rubrail OR as you said, "replace the whole railing"

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
I have had good results with whitewall tire cleaner, if that doesn't work try white shoe polish

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Aw come on jeep, are you sure we can't run some diesel through your motor and scrub off the lake scum from the hull with 3M pads? :lol:

oldjeep

Admiral
Aw come on jeep, are you sure we can't run some diesel through your motor and scrub off the lake scum from the hull with 3M pads? :lol:

It would be just as bad as using carb cleaner, 409 or magic eraser pads on it ;)