85 hydra sport floor replacement

So I bought an 1985 hydra sport thought there was a little weak spot in the floor, at the time was thinking no big deal I'll patch it. After digging into it more after buying it I think I might of bit off more than I can chew. There are a few weak spots so think I just need to go ahead and replace the hole floor.... I don't have a clue on how to do that does anyone have any ideas?? Will add photos when it's light outside so you can see that I need to some how remove the center console and the side hatches but it all looks like one piece with the top of the boat any help will be thankful

pckeen

Commander
Hi,

Welcome to iboats. Lots of advice here on how to replace a floor. Someone will be along shortly to tell you that if you have soft spots on the floor, a proper repair of the floor will require you to take the entire floor out, put new stringers in, re-glass everything back in, then put a new floor on top....

To get a better sense of what you are looking at, take a spin through some of the restoration threads. If after that, you are excited about the challenge, then welcome to the club....

Here are a couple to get you started.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...d-hull-repair/534583-love-necessity-and-pride
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...-repair/640060-my-1968-glastron-gt160-rebuild

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you are replacing the whole floor, go ahead and cut the soft spots out large enough that you can see how the boat was constructed under the floor and where the stringers and supports are. Then plan how to remove the floor doing as little damage to the rest of the boat as possible. Make sure it is well supported on a trailer and put some straps across the top to keep the sides from springing.

tpenfield

Staff member
Keep in mind that often when the floor is rotted, so is the structure underneath. The first part of your project will be determining the extent of the issues as you pull up the floor. Then, you will be able to plan the repair work.

It took two days but I got the floor up without cutting into the stringers and didn't have to cut the top off. The three stringers I can see look like there in good shape so I just have to get the plywood and carpet and put it all back together now. Then it will be time to find a motor and replace the gunnle and build a new seat frame. What should i use to seal the plywood with? Thanks for the help

It took two days but I got the floor up without cutting into the stringers and didn't have to cut the top off. The three stringers I can see look like there in good shape so I just have to get the plywood and carpet and put it all back together now. Then it will be time to find a motor and replace the gunnle and build a new seat frame. What should i use to seal the plywood with? Thanks for the help

Your best bet is to at least coat the bottom side with epoxy laminating resin and to glass the top side, again using epoxy resin. I go so far as to glass the bottom side also. Look up US Composites (I can't give you a link, this site will block it), I have good luck using their 635 resin and for the deck a 10 oz. glass cloth should be good.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmm before you go covering up the stringers and transom, I'd recommend you core sample them. Looks can be very deceiving. The only true way to know they are good to go is to drill into them with a drill bit and inspect the shavings. If you get dry wood then fill the holes with epoxy and put the deck back on. If they're wet then you've got more work to do. She's 30 years old and boats of this vintage with bad rotten decks usually have more issues below. You should check over in the Boat Restoration forum and you'll see what I mean. Wouldn't want you to do all this work and then have to rip it all back out later to have to replace rotten stringers and transom.