Fairliner.....Anyone know about these?

mmetzger1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Found a deal on a 1966 Fairliner 31ft Express with Flybridge. I went to look at it today and it obviously has not been cared for too well over the last year or so. However still looks like it could have a lot of life left in it if given the little bit of lov'in that it needs. Guy is asking $4000obo for it. Has a single 440 Chrysler with velvet drive. Said its been to Alaska twice(not sure if thats good or bad) Looks like its just served as a party boat for SeaFair the last couple years. Anyways, what are your thoughts on this boat? Any Achilles Heel type issues I should know about?
00K0K_lY3ruwKg1Bj_600x450.jpg 00k0k_jUM1QYToKDC_600x450.jpg 00A0A_5SdHJjFPtEx_600x450.jpg 01515_fBj0bojQN5x_600x450.jpg 00U0U_kj0U8l6CFq3_600x450.jpg 00m0m_2e7dWE4GUvQ_600x450.jpg BuckmanFairliner.jpg

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
48 years old, not cared for well, OBO......better have a big budget to get her seaworthy again...

mmetzger1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I believe it was cared for very well, just might not have been in the last year or two.........

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
No pictures came through so no help there. Need more info and pictures. Is it just a mess, but seems to run ok? Are there mechanical problems? Does it run at all?

mmetzger1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bummer on the pics, here are the links

This is the CL ad for the boat
http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/bar/4659763243.html

And I found this ad while trying to research 1966 airliners. Not sure how old this ad is....($12,500)
its the one on the bottom "First Klas"
http://fairlinerrendezvous.org/2.html

He said the boat runs great, never not started or left him stranded. When I went to look at it, it wasn't in as bad of shape as I was preparing for. I think its right on the edge of where someone could purchase it and easily clean her back up to great shape. Or she will just rot with another year or so of neglect..... The hull has a couple gouges in it that need to be fixed. And one larger ding on the back where hit broke through to the wood, but a fix I feel capable of, but not after a year or two of that wood soaking up some seattle winter rain......

mmetzger1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I little about myself, I am very capable of fiberglass work, mechanical work, etc. So all work on the boat will be done by yours truly ;) I am just looking for some onsite on things to be weary of ect. :)

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I little about myself, I am very capable of fiberglass work, mechanical work, etc. So all work on the boat will be done by yours truly ;) I am just looking for some onsite on things to be weary of ect. :)
Then the only thing holding you back is you. Guess you just need to decide if this is something that you are willing to invest in.

southkogs

Staff member
That's a big boat ... if there's a lot of work in the "guts" of the thing, it'll be big dollars and time ... even if you're the one doing it. However, if you can afford it (time and money) there's probably a huge sense of satisfaction floatin' a tub like that with your fingerprints all over the place.

mmetzger1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah, I guess I need to get inside in order to see how the "guts" look. Anything in particular that I should be looking at or for?

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The handling of a boat that size with a single screw will be a tough. Fairliner was a lower end boat when they were made I remember seeing a few around many years ago.