Seloc service & repair manual question

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Don't know, but if you search here you will find dozens, maybe hundreds, of topics on the subject. What do you want to winterize?

thumpar

Admiral
Only good for a knee pad. Get a factory manual for what you are working on.

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Only good for a kneed pad. Get a factory manual for what you are working on.

Whatever your experience it doesn't compare to mine. I had both and I actually preferred the Seloc over the Mercury for several reasons akin to understanding the problem and seeing how to fix it. I got mine electronically right here in a couple of minutes with a subscription to their online manual.

Mark

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Seloc manuals do. Had one for my johnson outboard that was very helpful and not just for winterizing. I wouldn't have bought one for my merc 5.0 if I didn't think they were worth it. With that said, the seloc manual for my merc (not so much for my johnson outboard) is for so many different models, I have to skip through a lot of stuff to get to my specific model, which makes searching for specific procedures a bit of a PITA. Got into the habit of bookmarking whatever I needed. I have never tried the online version. Do they have a handy search function?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Seloc manuals have so much wrong information in them I wouldn't buy them. Only go with OEM.

Bought one once when I first bought my OMC Cobra. Within a year I bought the factory OMC. That was long before this site was around so I didn't know any better.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
Whatever your experience it doesn't compare to mine. I had both and I actually preferred the Seloc over the Mercury for several reasons akin to understanding the problem and seeing how to fix it. I got mine electronically right here in a couple of minutes with a subscription to their online manual.

Mark
You can boast all you want but it doesn't take much experience to know that the Seloc is not worth the paper it is written on. The Merc manuals expect that you have some mechanical skills so are written a little different but are exact. I have all the Mercruiser manuals in PDF form and didn't pay a dime. You can also get the online versions for free at boatinfo.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
You can boast all you want but it doesn't take much experience to know that the Seloc is not worth the paper it is written on. The Merc manuals expect that you have some mechanical skills so are written a little different but are exact. I have all the Mercruiser manuals in PDF form and didn't pay a dime. You can also get the online versions for free at boatinfo.
Everybody has an opinion and an.............well you know!

JoLin

Vice Admiral

You hit on the precise reason I like to have both. Yes, the factory manual has all the correct information, and it's written for the trained mechanic with all the right tools. A Seloc is written for the DIY'er and can walk you through repairs that aren't clearly described in a factory manual. When I owned my Johnson outboard, there was more than one procedure in the OMC manual that left me scratching my head. When I turned to the Seloc the light came on, and it provided an alternative method to using the diagnostic tools I don't own. Add in a factory Parts Manual that shows how everything fits together, and you can tackle almost anything.

My .02

Last edited:

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
You hit on the precise reason I like to have both. Yes, the factory manual has all the correct information, and it's written for the trained mechanic with all the right tools. A Seloc is written for the DIY'er and can walk you through repairs that aren't clearly described in a factory manual. When I owned my Johnson outboard, there was more than one procedure in the OMC manual that left me scratching my head. When I turned to the Seloc the light came on, and it provided an alternative method to using the diagnostic tools I don't own. Add in a factory Parts Manual that shows how everything fits together, and you can tackle almost anything. My .02
^This, +1. As a mediocre DIY wrench, one way to bump up your skills is to learn from as many resources as possible. OM, Seloc, iBoats, retailers websites, asking questions on the dock, etc.

thumpar

Admiral
^This, +1. As a mediocre DIY wrench, one way to bump up your skills is to learn from as many resources as possible. OM, Seloc, iBoats, retailers websites, asking questions on the dock, etc.
The problem comes when the info is wrong and ends up making you ruin what you are working on. Seloc has a lot of wrong info.